Should I worry about my cat with my newborn?

I got a 9 week old kitten on valentines day and he is completely attatched to me. I'm worried that when I have my baby, Im never going to stop worrying about the cat being in the baby's crib or bassinet when he is sleeping. Is it something I should really stress over? How can i prevent it?

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 5:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pets

• I do not think you need to stress over it. But you need to research and be sure you are comfortable. I have heard many things and they may be wives tales.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i understand where you are coming from. 9 wks old is a great start for a cat! bring the kitten to the baby to let him smell and see what the fuss is about. dont bring the baby to kitty though, you might scare him. give lots of love to the kitty. dont let the kitty in your lap when you are feeding, keep it out of babys room period. if you share a room with baby, keep kitty off the beds and stuff. start training kitty to stay off counters, dont feed him human food, and keep him off of beds. kitties like to lay on babies because they are warm.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Thanks to both of you. But im worried because my baby isnt due until June 27th, so my cat is getting more and more attached to me and Im afraid he will be jealous when my baby comes.
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• He is young enough to adjust fine with the baby, it's not like he is 10 and you have had him since he was 8 week lol. Cat's are actually pretty good at adapting some take longer then others and some owners try and read to much into their "behavior" he might keep to himself for a bit which is fine. Cat's stress when forced, just let him chill under the bed if he wants too, if he is curious let him sniff the baby. You can even have a blanket sent home from the hospital with the baby smell on it, this trick is also used for dogs.
    When worried about the cat jumping in the bed, take a piece of card board the size of the crib/bassinet and cover it with the two side duck tape and lay it in there. The cat will quickly learn that it's not a pleasant place to be, you can also carry around a small water bottle and spray the cat every time it gets near or in the bed. It doesn't hurt the cat and is a very good training method with them.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 6:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Also, cats aren't as needy as dogs. People worry when they think their cat isn't getting the attention it "deserves" but as long as you pet the cat when it comes up to you, let it snuggle with you then you'll do fine. They are very independent animals and don't rely on the constant need for companionship like dogs do.
    My cat spends 95% of the day sleeping where she wants, looking out the window and doing her own thing. She bugs me for food and at night cuddles with me and she is very happy with that :)
    Good luck and congrats!
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 6:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• When DD was a newborn, we had six indoor cats and I never had an ounce of concern...and I was right to not. The only thing I never allowed was them to sleep with her, because they had a tendency to like to lay right up against and I didn't want them to do that with her being they were as long as she was. But no, there is no need for concern.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Relax it will be fine. the blanket from the hospital with the baby smell is a good idea. Spray water bottle works too. If the baby is sleeping in the nursery u could close the door.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Thank you to everyone so far :] And I know cats don't generally need as much attention as other animals, but this one does. Since the second i brought him home, he is always with me. When im on the couch, he is laying on me, when I get up to go to the kitchen or bathroom or anywhere, he comes with me and follows me, and he also sleeps with me every single night. If Im doing the dishes, he wants me to hold him, he climbs up my leg, up my side, and to my shoulder. Im worried that if he isnt getting that same amount of attention when my baby comes, then he will get jealous or something. I already dont allow him in the baby's room and he isnt allowed near, on, or in any of the baby's stuff, but you cant blame a first time mom for worrying.
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• seems like you've set a good foundation. props to you. :) I wouldn't worry too much about the cat being jealous. They tend to be clingy as kittens and get more independent as they get older. He may be out of his clingy phase by then, but if not, make sure you spend as much time as you can giving kitty cuddles and love. Babies sleep a lot so this should allow plenty of time to make kitty feel loved and included. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Thanks :]
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2011