Working mothers - HELP?

I have no idea how any working mother does it. I went full time at my job and since then, I haven't gotten a single meal cooked. The house is a mess, my kid is friends with the pizza man, I wear an awful lot of haven't-done-the-laundry-yet clothes and for the life of me, I just cannot get caught up on sleep. Daddy also works full time, so it isn't like I'm struggling on my own. I don't know how anyone else does it. Does anyone have any advice, or know of anything that works?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• It will eventually all fall into place. In the meantime you will need to lose some much needed sleep to get caught up on some of the more essential stuff. You also might find not turning on the television and the computer gives you that extra bit of time you need to stay ahead of the messes. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• first of all, you have to give up on being June Cleaver, ain't gonna happen

have the kids pick out their clothes before they go to bed, meal plan on the weekends and have everything defrosted before you leave for work in the morning. throw a load of laundry in when you get up in the morning, throw it in the dryer when you get home. Not every dinner has to be gourmet, sometimes pancakes or PB&J are ok!

DH and I have both always worked full time since DS was born, you'll get the hang of it!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It's all about the ROUTINE. For dinner, crock pot meals are WONDERFUL. We'd also make use of the grill, and casseroles. The house wasn't messy for we weren't home 9 hours a day M-F. Laundry, mopping, dusting, vacuuming, etc all got done on the weekends when DH and I were both home. Baths were done in the evening, clothing was chosen before bedtime.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I am a single mom of three special needs kids and i work full time and just let me say you are setting your height to high if you think you should be able to do it all! lol Do kids have chores in house? mine do and it sure helps! I do wish you the best of luck! just try to manage the most important things first!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It takes a little while to develop a good routine. Meal planning helps with the meals; if you know what you're going to cook ahead of time, you may be able to do some of the prep work the night before. I also have a cleaning and laundry schedule that helps me make sure the essentials get done; I like to spread mine throughout the week so that we have more free time on weekends.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Try flylady.com. It helped me when I was overwhelmed. I've come up with a routine that my bf thinks is silly, but it makes me happy. My house isn't perfect and we eat a lot of chicken nuggets, corn dogs, and frozen pizza, but thats what I can get my DD to eat. Sometimes spending time with the kids is more important than folding laundry. I get up before DD and do chores as well as after she goes to bed.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Both my hubs and I work full time. while I am able to work out of my house, I still have days where it seems like I get nothing done. I find that if I write down the chores I need to do and get a schedule/routine going I am able to get things done. I find my crockpot to be a lifesaver... I toss stuff in there in the morning and then by the time everyone is home the food is ready and there is very little cooking left to do. I enlist the hubs and kids to help with some of the household chores as well. As for laundry either hubs or I will toss a load or 2 in each day (sometimes I do more if I have the time) that way there are clean clothes.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2011