Does faith and God/Goddesses only run skin deep?

I'm beginning to wonder where the God and Goddess truly resides. Is he/she/it ever present and aware?
Do they only reside within publicly recognized prayers?
Because if they do not reside where I asked, then why is it SO important that prayer be publicly recognized at schools, meetings, court houses, games, etc?

Does the prayer that is publicly led hold more "power" over those said within one's heart when alone and in need of the peace prayer can hold?

Please explain how it is important that your prayers be publicly led, and group participated in, vs. led by your heart alone.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• True prayer really holds no significance as the geological location. I believe in the God of the bible and his SON Jesus Christ and I know it does not matter where I pray to him because he is omnipresent. I believe the significance of public led prayer is the gathering of believers in the One Nation Under God belief. It is a sign of togetherness.....I cannot answer about a goddess or anything like that because I do no subscribe to that belief. Perhaps someone else can.,
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My faith is deep...and I keep it there. I don't really care about who prays publicly, etc, as long as I am not preached to and as long as it isn't done in an offensive way. I don't care because I feel everyone is entitled to their own practice. I have an egyptian goddess tattooed on my back, I read tarot, I attend Catholic mass from time to time, I attend reiki shares when I can, and I tell my son that the stars guide us and the moon gives us strength. If my child is told he must pray in school, we'll have issues. If my child experiences prayer in school, etc, and is able to make his own decision about religion, and choose to participate or not, it's a growing experience that will enhance his life.

I feel that the power of public, group, positive prayer is definitely different from personal practice, but I think that each carry their own power.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• and PS sometimes prayers aren't immediately answered they way you need them to be, but they're always heard. Hang in there.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have never felt comfortable with "public" prayer - I am not talking about at events or anything like that, because to be honest I have never been to a large public event where there was prayer, but like in group settings, especially when they want to go around the room and have everyone say a bit of a prayer. I am a shy person, and my faith has always been very personal for me, I always think of Jesus words in Matthew: “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (6:5-6)
    This is how I pray

l.o.v.e

Answer by l.o.v.e at 6:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• l.o.v.e. have you studied that chapter?

Jesus was talking about the pharisees and their hearts. Not everyone that prays publically are like those pharisees.

For me Jesus lives within my heart and since Jesus is also God... therefore God lives there too...
    1 Corinthians 3:16 (The Message)
    16-17You realize, don't you, that you are the temple of God, and God himself is present in you? No one will get by with vandalizing God's temple, you can be sure of that. God's temple is sacred—and you, remember, are the temple.
    1 Corinthians 3:16 (New American Standard Bible)
    16Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
    more to come...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Proverbs 10:30-32 (New American Standard Bible)
    30The righteous will never be shaken,But the wicked will not dwell in the land. 31The mouth of the righteous flows with wisdom,
    But the perverted tongue will be cut out. 32The lips of the righteous bring forth what is acceptable, But the mouth of the wicked what is perverted.

Proverbs 15:3-5 (New American Standard Bible)
    3The eyes of the LORD are in every place, Watching the evil and the good.4A soothing tongue is a tree of life, But perversion in it crushes the spirit.

Proverbs 18:20-22 (New American Standard Bible)
    20With the fruit of a man's mouth his stomach will be satisfied; He will be satisfied with the product of his lips.21Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• People pray in private all the time. However Matthew 18-20 says Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.  I think joining prayers can be very powerful, you don't always need to be in the same place to do this, but I think the love and energy attached to all these prayers said together can be powerful.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• If people decide to pray at appropriate events its no big deal- many feel its a way to come together- prayer is powerful either alone or shared-
    Now if your issue is that prayer is conducted places where its not appropriate than that is another issue- but there is nothing wrong with group prayer-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• They must just want to make a point of it, "our religion is better than yours", because there's no reason to make prayer recognized in schools or any other public place, plus it violates separation of church and state and is biased towards Christianity. People aren't asking that we make kids perform Muslim prayers in school are they? You can believe in whatever magic you like, but isn't it personal to you and don't you want to pray on your own time?
    mommy2myles

Answer by mommy2myles at 10:27 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I support any prayer for anyone at anytime, anywhere. I see no negativity what-so-ever. I feel that you take this as a personal offense or something when it is totally not.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011