when, if and how to talk to your kids about sex / inappropriate touch

Ok so I could hem and haw and tell a long drawn out story but I will just get straight to it. My question is when, how and should you talk to your kids about how to deal with inappropriate touch. Or any other abuse for that matter. As a child I was molested and though my mom always said, "you can tell me anything" I kept it a secret for a long time. I don't want to make my daughter uncomfortable by talking about it but I do want to let her know how to handle it if GOD FORBID the situation ever occurs. So on one hand I want to make her aware that if anyone hurts her it is not ok and that I will always listen and be open to whatever she needs to tell me, and on the other hand I don't want to scare her or make her think she can't trust anyone and make the world out to be an aweful scary place either. Do you see my dilema?

IsaacsMom798

Asked by IsaacsMom798 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There are books out there you could get to help talk about it depending on the ages of kids. I asked my pediatrician and he gave me some information on how to talk to kids about "Good touch and Bad touch". Also, keep reassuring her that she can come to you about anything and you won't be angry with her.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I agree, But u also need to make sure when she does come to u that u don't get angry, b/c if u do then she won't come back!! It really depends on her age.
    supermomof924

Answer by supermomof924 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• At the very latest, I would say to tell them about it when they start school...so about 5 years old. Try googling info on good touch, bad touch. When my boys were in preschool, they had a guest speaker come in with coloring books about good touch, bad touch.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• the earlier the better. this way they can learn about their bodies at their age level awareness
    farout

Answer by farout at 11:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I was very fortunate to come into the perfect video. It is very kid frinedly. It is called Winnie the Pooh Don't talk to strangers and Good touch Bad touch. I think that is the name of it. Anyway it has pooh and tiger talking about strangers and what to do and good touch bad touch and who to tell and when. It touches on the subject of how the person will say stuff to get the child to trust them like hurting another loved one. It explains where is ok to touch and where is bad to touch.
    I will find the video and let you know the exact name. I would say with this video the good age is when the child starts to really comprehend cartoons. My oldest watched it at like 4 or 5 years old.
    It really helped to teach him not to talk to strangers.
    honeyhanvey

Answer by honeyhanvey at 12:44 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• ASAP!!!! In the first week of school, My husband and I were called into school because my son was accused of grabbing a little boys penis. We have the "private parts" talk with my son occasionally ... we have a 3 yr old daughter also so they are well aware of the differences. But when the principal told me, i was shocked because that is NOT MY SON!!! After lots of talking with my son, the teacher, guidence counselor, and principal, I believe my son did not do this (i actually believed that fromt he begining) but in the end it turned out that the little boy in my sons class was actually calling out for help and blamed my son for something that one of his family members was doing to him. So yes... the private parts and innapropriate touching talk needs to happen asap.
    mizzgarcia_1010

Answer by mizzgarcia_1010 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2008