Potty training a special child

My first son was ready to use the potty by the time he was 3. He trained very easily. He did not have many accidents and it went way easier than i thought it would. My 4 1/2 yr old was born with Down Syndrome and i have been working with him on potty training for some time now. I have tried many things to help encourage him. He has had some success with peeing on the potty and will tell me most of the time after he has pooped. So my question is for the moms who have potty trained your child with special needs. What worked for you and your child?

team21

Asked by team21 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my friend has a son w downs and he's 8 and still is not fully potty trained so I guess it depends on the mentality of the kid and when they are ready my friends son is 8 but he's like a 2 yr old.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2011