Any Ideas on getting a 3 year old to pick there toys up?

My 3 year old hates picking up her toys or anything she pulls out

jessalyns_momma

Asked by jessalyns_momma at 7:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make it a game. I play music and she has to pick up as many as she can before I stop the music and then I tell her to freeze and we do it again until they are all picked up :) she loves it. Also, try singing the clean up song with her. If you don't know it let me know and I will send the lyrics to you :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• we started with our son VERY young that the rule is you have to put what you got out away before you get something else out. He is 5 now and doesn't bat an eye when we tell him to pick up his toys before he gets something else out, he has long since known that is the rule.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• yes please send me the song i would really like to know it
    jessalyns_momma

Comment by jessalyns_momma (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• FYI - amber may not come back and check this area so you can message her by clicking on her name, then click on "see cafemom profile", then go to "send message". Iagree with what has been said and you can also do it with her to show her what is expected to start.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It is really simple, I think it was off of a Barney show or something. (Clearing throat, lol) "clean up, clean up everybody everywhere, clean up clean up, everybody do your share" sing it over and over again until the toys are all in order. I know it is cheesy, but my girls love cheesy :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• To get the actual song or many other ones you can search "clean up songs" on google or even youtube. I would send you the links, but am on cafemom mobile and am unable to.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• make it clear that you will throw away all toys you find on the floor. My son never like to clean up also but I made it clear the bad mommy will throw all his toys away. Sometimes I help him when I see he is tired but mostly he do it for hisself.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• When my five year old niece was three and she did that, we would take her to the toy and ask her to pick it up or go to timeout, eventually she just automatically started doing it. Just be patient and sometimes if you get down on their level, you would see that works too.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• If she is asked once and doesn't do it, then she gets a warning of getting a time out if she once again refuses. Time out if she does again refuse. Then if she refuses again after the time out then you simply sit in there until she picks them up. That's the more commanding approach. With my son I made it fun and turned it into a game. Sang a song and now all I have to do is start and he finishes. It's quality time together and he likes the company.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You can make a game of it, put on a clean up song (or sing one) and then see who can pick up the most before the song goes off is the 'winner'. With my kids I also tell them that they pick up or I do, but if I do I will get a garbage bag out and put the toys up in the attic. My 1 son did not believe me and he deliberately left his toys out, and I put them in a bag and tossed it in the attic. He screamed bloody murder about it. (he did eventually get the toys back). So now they know I am serious and if they don't pick up I will walk to the sink and get a garbage bag and as soon as they see it they start picking up.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011