Do you think its a form of abuse to let your child get obese?

My 4 1/2 year old nephew weighs 80 lbs! No he does not have any health issues that cause it,its from mommy and grandma giving him anything and everything he wants to eat. If anyone says anything to my SIL,she freaks out! According to growth charts,he's in the 25th percentile for height,and WAY off the chart for weight. He's the average weight for an 11 yr old child!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it's abuse, but then again, parents today seem to think it's easier to let the child be in charge of what they want to eat and it's easier for parents to give in than to listen to the spoiled brats today whine that they want something bad for them all the time. Giving kids food, instead of love, and attention IS NOT LOVE.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would say it's not a form of abuse, but rather a form of neglect. They are neglecting to teach the child about his health, the correlation between his health and the food he eats, portion control or deferred gratification.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Poor child.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would maybe try to suggest more fruits and vegetables. As far as I know it can be because u r allowing the child to run into other health issues down the line. But legally I don't know.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• No, I think it would be abuse to starve them though.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I do believe that allowing your child to become obsese is a form of neglect and abuse.
    Your job as a parent is to insure the health and safety of your child by all means neccissary. By doing this that includes (very much so) insuring that they have a well balanced and healthy diet. One that includes excersise. By allowing your child to become obses you're neglecting your parental obligation to insure their health and well being. As well, on a moral standing you're teaching them the wrong eating habits, dietary plan, and as well giving them the mindset that if they want it they get it. It is especially mentally harmful if they're giving the child food to feed an emotional need, want, or otherwise pacify a child with food. That is detremental in more ways then just the child eventually becoming obese.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes.
    Anonymous

• Yes.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• No, neglect. It's out of laziness, not malice.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I don't think it is abuse, but rather, neglect stemming from general laziness. Honestly, it sounds like she lets him have what he wants because she does not want to take the time to make him do better.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2011