Examples of your "staple groceries" & what you make with them.

I'm trying to get my grocery list together for next grocery trip, it's a trip we call a "big grocery trip" because we're out of basically everything except meat and bread. I'm literally restocking my shelves and fridge.

So it made me curious, what are your "staple groceries". What are the things you always have on hand? What are some things you generally buy every time you grocery shop? And what meals do you make with them?

Maybe this will give me some inspiration on new things to get. We try to stick to really simple meals, like seasoned and baked chicken breast with brown rice...but it's nice when someone mentions something I've never thought to make!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Home & Garden

• flour, eggs, sugar, milk, onions, celery, potatoes, butter and various spices are the staples here.

I can home-made pancake batter, I can make soup, and snicker-doodles for the kid for a snack with these things. Not to mention that they get used while cooking. For example flour can be used to make gravy.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Things I keep on hand - vanilla, flour, sugar (white and brown), various seasonings (anything from garlic powder to cinnamon, esp the cheap ones), bread crumbs, lipton soup mixes, various soups (like chicken broth, cream of chicken, cream of celery, cream of mushroom, tomato), rice, cans of veggies, crisco, cake mixes, noodles, tuna, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch, salt, pepper, chocolate chips, oils. That's all I can think of. Those are things I keep on hand that I don't restock very often but they're good to have for a quick meal in a pinch if I need one. Soups & bread crumbs are great for just pouring over chicken or pork and letting it cook in the crockpot or oven.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I wrote to much and it wouldn't let me post it all LOL
    I do make a lot from scratch like pancakes, muffins, cookies (even cake cookies with the cake mix - it's so quick and easy to do with the kids for an afternoon snake), gravy, etc. So flour and sugars are a necessity.

Things I buy weekly each time are usually milk, butter, eggs, yogurt (great for smoothies and snacks), potatoes (mashed potatoes or italian seasoned for supper), bread. Other than that it generally depends on what I'm planning to make that week for supper. I plan out my menu, make my grocery list and check my coupons :)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• your pantry should always have:butter, flour, sugar, coffee, tea, baking soda, baking powder, eggs, milk, vegetable oil, onions, potatoes, salt, seasonings, chicken stock, vanilla.
    i bake a lot and cook from scratch. you should also keep mustard, mayo and ketchup on hand. worchestshire sauce too. once you have your basics and your condiments, (i forgot rice...)make a menu and stick to that.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• slowly but surely build up all the extras and then start replinishing once you start running low. there are many groups here that post recipes. good luck.
    princezzmommie

• The basics are pretty much covered above. The things I would add would be tuna, pasta( several kinds like spagetti, elbows, penna and egg noodles),can or jar sauce for quickie meals,I always have salsa, pickles, and salad drsg in the fridge.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2008