What do you do for a 3 year old the throws fits all the time?

my 3 year old refuses to listen and throws fits on a daily basis?

jessalyns_momma

Asked by jessalyns_momma at 7:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• put them in their room to get over it,and let them join you when they've calmed down

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Decide WHO is really in charge. The fits only get worse if you give in and the kids learn REALLY fast these days how to manipulate their parents.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Time outs have always worked great for me. Also taking away a fave toy or snack is another idea.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would leave her alone so she would know that I am not paying attention to her terrible behavior.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• We used to take away their most favorite thing for an appropriate length of time. ALso make sure she is getting enough positive attention. Sometimes they go for the negative attention if they do not get enough positive attention. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Never give in is my advice, and if he/she is not around anything that can hurt them, let the child throw the fit. Eventually he/she will realize it's not getting to you.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Time out r room for me. I try not to feed into the tantrum by losing it myself. I have found with my kids if I ignre the behavior and just putthem in their room it ends a lot faster than it would if I sat there yelling or trying to calm them down.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• What ambr2006 said.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:09 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• time outs or spankings, which ever you and your dh feel comfortable using. always try for a disapline method for a few weeks before deciding it doesnt work and move on to another one. the more slack you give them, the more they will take, especially when your first starting to use disapline.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My motto is that sometimes you need to be the monster to avoid raising one. I have yet to see anyone post a comment on here that will automatically solve the problem but I think the tone everyone takes is that you have to show you are in charge, time outs work because they keep them from getting the attention these melt downs often are seeking. It doesn't stop them from happening in my experience but it makes them farther between and shorter lived.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2011