Where would you go if you home was swept out to sea?

Or crumbled to the ground in an earthquake? Or you were evacuated die to fears of a nuclear meltdown?

How would you get there?

What is the first thing you would do to rebuild your life?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 7:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well I live in WI,so the nuclear thing is the only probable one. I guess wherever the government told me to go. We don't have anyone to stay with. They're all here.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'd pay that 6000 dollar one way air fare to the USA and move in with family.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I don't have a clue! My biggest fear is the family will be separated because of work and school and we wouldn't be together.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have family all over the country. I would go wherever would be safest.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My biggest fear is the family will be separated because of work and school and we wouldn't be together.

Answer by Kathy675 4 minutes ago

Me too.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Here in eastern PA, we don't live in an area prone to natural disasters, and it's not exactly a "target area" for terrorists! BUT, we do have rental properties in Boston we could live in, as well as family and friends scattered all over the US that we could stay with in the short term. I should hope that our home-owners insurance would eventually kick in, and we have significant savings and stock portfolios that we could "cash in" and live off of, if need be. In addition to that, my husband and I are pretty resourceful and "outdoorsy," so we would have no trouble living off the land--hunting, fishing, creating a makeshift shelter, cooking over a fire, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• my husband and I are pretty resourceful and "outdoorsy," so we would have no trouble living off the land--hunting, fishing, creating a makeshift shelter, cooking over a fire, etc.

I'm banking on that too. DH and i often joke that we'd fare better in "disaster life" that we do in suburban life.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I am not paranoid but we do have an emergency plan should we have to use it. Including biological reasons. We have cash hidden at home for the immediate necessities, I am in the process of buying an older jeep without a computer chip (in case of an EMP), and other items necessary. A big group of us have a cabin in a remote location and the idea is to meet up at the cabin. It is not to far away but far enough if something in my location occurred I can head there. I am not a believer in weapons but anyone tries to high jack my jeep I will blow their head off. We have gone over and over the plan, sort of as a joke, with our friends. But we have just a select few. Doctors, nurse practitioner, weapons experts, and a few other specialists.  It is always a what if joke but we have been talking about it for the last ten years.  So yeah, we have a plan.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would find my family. I can do anything with my family members around me. A house is just a building. It is the people inside that building that makes it a home. My home is where my family is standing - inside a house or waiting to construct another.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• More than 1 home here- we also have a big, supportive family- My parents own multiple homes (not rentals). Both of my sibs have motor homes as well-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011