My wedding

It was yesterday. It went really well except for my husband's family. Most didn't come but those who did acted down right rude. All the women on his side wore white (his aunt, mom and cousin wore black and white dresses with more white then black, his aunt wore ALL WHITE). I couldn't believe it. Then at the ceremony 3 of the men on his side were jumping out of their seats snapping pictures and getting in the way of the photographers that I HIRED to take pictures. Even during the prayers and the vows. His 2 younger cousins (who are both in their teens) were playing on their phones during the ceremony. So then at the reception, his side was complaining about the music (we played mostly country because that is what me and my husband listen to) they went and asked the DJ )that I PAYED FOR to change the music that I wanted. Then every time the DJ announced that we would be doing something special (first dance, garter toss, cake cutting) his mom would quickly pull him aside to get him to talk to her and make me wait (he brushed her off every time but it was still kind of annoying because she was trying to make it about her.) There have been problems for a long time (most of them hadn't even talked to him for a year). I am about ready to tell him that I don't want to deal with them anymore. Would I be wrong for that? I am just sick of all their crap, always trying to push me in the background, even at my own wedding!!!!!

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Its one day! So what? you have the rest of your lives together. Yeah they acted crappy but don't worry about ONE day. Make sure every day after that is good.
    KWnavywife

Answer by KWnavywife at 7:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Surprises me that you didn't have this kind of discussion BEFORE the wedding. Good luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• We did talk about it. We tried to give them one more chance but I think their behavior at the wedding proves that they will never change. This was my wedding day, not just any other day and if that is how they are gonna act at our wedding, think about how they act on a normal day
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• What I would do is make myseld scarce and everytime they are suppose to come around invte your family. This way they can not do as much. Put your husband to sit down and show him what they are doing, especially at your wedding. Sorry that they did this on your day.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 8:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Congrats on your marriage!

I wouldn't be so worried by the teens on the phones - they're kids and while they should know better - someone has to train them. The wearing white - while it's bad form, it looks bad on them, not you. It may be that they flat don't know and all. Sometimes (sometimes a lot) my husband's family does this and I've come to learn over the years that it's really not that they want to take away from me (now, sometimes they DO but it's not always like that) - sometimes they don't know because some of them are kinda backward. I wonder how my husband grew up in that family. LOL

When looking back at your memories of your day - think about the beautiful moments or you'll end up in years to come only remembering the bad parts and I know you don't want that! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I wl never invite his side of the family anywhere....
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I understand your feelings, completely. I would be so pissed if my fiance's family did that.
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 9:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You're about to tell him that you don't want to deal with them anymore, would you be wrong for that? Hmmmm, is your family PERFECT? cuz if not then according to your philosophy he shouldn't have to deal with them anymore ever. IDK you marry a man, you marry into his family that he loves. I think you are acting like a spoiled brat, who just wants ALL the attention for herself. Kids will be kids. Your wedding bored them to tears. You should have announced that nobody was allowed to request any songs to the dj, because only what you wanted could be played, you also should have had only a designated area for your guests to take pictures, and had a specific dress code. I feel sorry for your husband. You are going to make his life hell. Congrats!
    Anonymous

• Anon, I guess you are just a push over who allows your wedding to be taken over by the guests! His mom and aunts had their weddings, this was mine, and they all but ruined it. My family in not perfect but they have manners and know how to behave in public and those "kids" where TEENAGERS, however even if they were kids, their parents should have already taught them better. My 4 year old cousin behaved better then ANY of them!
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2011