Is it normal when potty training for the child to take off the underwear and potty on the floor?

My son has done this twice while I have been potty training him; he has taken his underpants off and pooped on the floor. My mother and niece seem to think this is disgusting behavior and he knows what he is doing. I say that he is still figuring out the potty training and to cut him some slack.

liz_123156

Asked by liz_123156 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• You are correct...he's still getting the hang of it. I'd continue to praise him for his actions and provide some direction in the aftermath.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have wondered the same thing. My son does it too.
    stayhomemommy20

Answer by stayhomemommy20 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You are correct. They are learning to control their body and it all clicks eventually.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My gf is potty training her son and he went in the frige I'm sure its all part of the learning prosess just direct him to the potty
    Sage11

Answer by Sage11 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Upsherises : "You are correct...he's still getting the hang of it. I'd continue to praise him for his actions and provide some direction in the aftermath."

She gave a great answer- listen to it.
    LovemyQ

Answer by LovemyQ at 8:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I think all lil kids do that in the beginning...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• TMI- oh, you just gave me the opportunity to completely bust my sister, who has threatened me bodily harm if I ever acknowledge her existence on the internet..........*

we had these little kid chairs to sit and read in, and she left a big pile in one of the chairs, I wasn't supposed to know about it. So whenever someone came over I'd tell them things like 'you know why the seat on that chair has the brown stain!? Debbie Pooped on it!'
    I'm pretty sure those chairs went bye bye after a dinner party with the reverend, though I think he laughed hardest of all! :)

*but since she's already done me bodily harm, I'll say what I want :) good therapy as far as I'm concerned.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You just have to get a book tat the child really likes. Sit them on the potty and have the book handy so he can stay on the potty.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You're correct! Just learning! I wouldn't give it too much attention though. Just clean it up and either put it in the potty and then the toilet, or directly in the toilet if he's not using a potty chair. If you give it too much attention it may just become something he does on purpose because of the attention it gets!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2011