Have anyone of your children upset you to the point you had to go back home?

We went to the zoo today and my 12 year old was actting like she was from a different plant or something. tried ignoring her on numerous occassion but she kept doing it. (saying stupid things and speaking very loud) I had to pull out my number 1 card on her butt. I told her to rest her mouth and don't open it until we get to the car. I should have went home but I guess I'm glutten for punishment, we went to eat afterwards. She still continued so I lost my appetite and so did everyone else, we ended up leaving the restaurant early. When we got outside I took her phone and told her she is on punishment. What do you think?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 7:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I haven't with my own boys, but I did once with my niece! Before I married and had children my little niece came to visit me a lot. One day I had plans for us to get our nails done, go shopping and out to lunch...she was 4 and this was a big deal to her. I had to make a quick stop before we started our fun. She pitched a little fit in the store. I told her once if she didn't straighten up I was going to take her to the daycare and go by myself...she didn't believe me..............I took her to the daycare and had the fun day all by myself. I made a believer out of her. I never had any trouble with her after that....not a peep! I was so mad though...I was really looking forward to having a special day with her.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think she is at the point in her life where she is in between becoming a teenager and still acting like a child. She still needs boundaries, but they have to be changed to accomodate her age. Taking her phone was a great start; however, I like to try and make the punishment/discipline meet the problem. She was mouthing off so she should be punished in some way that makes her think twice about being disagreeable again, whether it's in public or not. Good luck.
    liz_123156

Answer by liz_123156 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have had a lot of problems with my 9 year old. He can be just down awful. Talking back and bullying his brother, then breaking down in tears and acting like a victim. I love him to death but he is very manipulative. and YES, I have gone home before because of his attitude; but also have disciplined him for his behavior like taking away TV or computer time or a favorite game and don't take them out to dinner or whatever after they have been this way because they are getting the message that it is OK to do this and will continue until you set your foot down and tell them that this is not acceptable

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i kno its not funny to you but i couldnt help but giggle........im not sure how saying stupid things is so bad but being loud can get to be blah sometimes but the punishment doesnt fit the crime to me she is a kid they do things like that to get a reaction out of you as a parent
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 7:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have had a lot of problems with my 9 and a half year old. She can be just down aweful. Talking back and bullying her brother, then breaking down in tears and acting like a victim. I love her to death but she is very manipulative. and YES, I have gone home before because of her attitude!
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 5:20 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• this one thing i always made sure if any kids where bad on trip or outting the next time i had to go out they where not aloud to come i would get babysitter for them sorry you lose ,my kids new what ever i said goes at 12 she know's how to behave if not time teach her the rules ,this how it goes you misbehave you will get babysitter
    if she acts up in any place you go put her in the car even if your out to dinner you are the parent not her
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:29 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I can't say I find your discription abnormal for a girl her age. Personally, if my child does something that violates a rule - we generally do leave. But my son is four. However, four or fourteen, it wouldn't matter. A rule broken is a negative consequence. Saying loud and even "stupid" things come with the age. As long as the things said were not abusive or insulting - I would let it go. Odd how 12 year olds can be so embarassed by their parent but not much is fussed over how these are the golden years for our children to embarass us. Knowing an early teen will grow out of their annoying comments and ways - I have to say I would jst continue to ignore it. And if it was really truly over the top I would leave her alone with a sitter while the rest of us go out and have fun. A few times of staying back or just being done with an activity can reduce it. But not a cure. No cure for the early teen years.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You pulled out that #1 card and she still didnt act right, huh? LOL...What does the #1 card represent? Are there consequences when you pull out that #1 card? She's 12 years old, acting out and you pulled out the #1 card? She's not a baby, she needs to have consequences for her actions. She should know how to act when you take her out somewhere and she should be respectful. You shouldn't have to cut your fun because of your 12 year old child acting out and you shouldn't have to use the #1 card or any card on her. She should have consequences for her actions. I get it that no kid is perfect but when you are out in public, all the home training should kick in at this age and she should act like she has a little bit of respect. She's in control and until you stop flicking those cards and making her responsible for her actions, she'll continue being in control!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2011