How can I get my 2 year old to understand there is a new baby coming?

I am due in July with my 2nd child. How can I help my 2 year old son that he is going to have a new baby sister?

stayhomemommy20

Asked by stayhomemommy20 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• they say when the older child is still young like yours is, its better to tell them when the baby is almost here, couse he might not understand the wait. Why can't the new baby come now? He might not understand the wait. But when your almost due, most kids his age will understand being a big brother and that there is a baby coming. My nephew was two when his lil sister was born and for the first 6 months he call her his baby.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Don't be dissapointed if it doesn't register until you bring baby home. It's typical. I've had two babies where the 2yo involved has no clue. They just know mommy has a big belly. In fact, my last baby, my son was two, and daddy had to take him home when he came for a visit. He was sort of weirded out by the new baby. But it's been two more years and everyone is perfectly happy and adjusted.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My son knows that the baby is in my stomach. He lifts my shirt up and kisses my stomach but I dont think he understands that there is going to be another baby in the house.
    stayhomemommy20

Comment by stayhomemommy20 (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• explain to him he wl b havin company...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Wait until you are showing quite a bit (6-7 months). Little ones can not understand the waiting. Then you can get a couple of those cute books about being a big brother and mom having a baby. Tell him what is happening and make sure he still feels special. Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My son was 2.5 when I found out I was pregnant with our second baby and 3 when she was born. We started talking about it from day one, and since I was due in February, we told him the baby would come after Ho Ho Ho came (his name for Santa back then). It also helped that my mother in law was watching a baby during my pregnancy. Sometimes she would watch my son at the same time so being around other babies helped him to understand what was happening. The first couple of days after we got home were kind of rough. My son really wanted to show everything to his sister so he was very wound up. Once we showed him that nothing in his routine was really changing, he went back to normal. Now 13 months later, he loves his sister to pieces.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Even my oldest was weirded out when his sister came, even though he went to her ultrasound and thought it was the coolest. He was eight at the time! Sometimes I think my hubby is still trying to wrap his head around it, and our youngest is 2! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I am about 6 months now. 24 weeks.
    stayhomemommy20

Comment by stayhomemommy20 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• IMO please make sure you are clear that the baby is staying forever, I wasn't when my sister came. I just couldn't understand out of all the babies that came to visit, why in the world did they decide to let THAT one stay? there had been so many babies come over that were in cute little outfits, very sweet, didn't cry, but yet they let that baby stay!

My dad told me that she had no where else to go, So when my sister was older I told her that she wasn't REALLY part of the family, that she was just at our house because all the smart people didn't want her, and that my parents were just stupid enough to let her live with us.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• awwwwww. I will make sure to let him know that she will be there forever.
    stayhomemommy20

Comment by stayhomemommy20 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2011