My male dog is stressing me out so badly! I need help!

I am an animal lover. I have two dogs, a female and male. My Havanese male is almost 10. He is continuing to mark with urine, whine constantly and bark incessantly until he gets his way. I am under a lot of stress and this is just adding to my stress. What can I do? He has to wear belly bands in the house because he tries to pee on everything. He's been checked out by the vet and is healthy. What can I do to stop the peeing and whining? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pets

• Something sounds like it's bothering him. Do you have a mouse in the house by chance? Is there a high frequency noise that maybe you can't hear? Does he like the garage? I would just put him out there. That's where mine spends most of the day.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Once you eliminate any health issues, then I would consult a dog trainer. They can do wonders!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 8:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Our local humane society offers behavior therapy. It's not free but it was really helpful for us when our dog was having some weird personality problems.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• We just moved to this house but he's been doing this for years...I guess my tolerance is wearing thin. We have a nice fenced in backyard. I put him out and in one minute he's at the door whining and barking! UGH. I don't know what else to do with him. We spent almost $300 checking him out physically only to find out he's very healthy and these are behavioral issues.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Is the other dog a new pet? Is there a new baby in the house? What is causing you (Besides your pooch) to stress you out? Maybe it's stressing him out too. If he was given lots of attention before and now he's not, maybe he's mad at you.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• try the calming pheremone products. there are collars, scented plug ins and some others.
    jennifer_s

Answer by jennifer_s at 8:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• No new baby....the female has been with him for the past 8 years. I'm stressed because we lost our home and we're in a new house now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Fix him. Eliminates the marking.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I know several havanese that were really difficult to house train. Some breeds are more challenging than others. That isn't to say it can't be accomplished, however.

First, if he isn't neutered, that could be a large part of the problem, neutering might help. At age 10, however it is unlikely to be all that you will need to do.

Second, you need to go back to the crate training and re train him from square one like a little pup. Obviously you have let it slide, and are having a change of heart with the new home. This happens all the time, believe it or not. You can manage it, but it is going to take some hard work, meaning tons of supervision and consistency.

A good behaviorist would be worth a consult in this situation because you have a dog with 10 years of a bad habit is what it sounds like to me.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:03 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Whatever is stressing u,the dog feels it too. Try paying more attention to him go out in the yard and play with him.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:24 AM on Mar. 14, 2011