Should we just seperate them?

We have an adult male cat that will me staying with us this week until he moves to his permanent home. He's a great cat and very friendly when it comes to people but he's not to happy about our other pets.

Our adult male cat is very interested in him but the new cat growls and hisses whenever he comes near. Our 2 dogs REALLY want to play but the new cats also seems to hate to dogs.

I hate to isolate him for an entire week but i'd like him to be comfortable. Should i seperate him from the other animals or just give him some more time to warm up?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 8:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pets

• I'd separate him for now. He may warm up when he gets more used to his surroundings and the new smells. Meanwhile, he'll be happier on his own, he doesn't need the company of other animals as long as you pet him from time to time.

Answer by Bmat at 8:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It takes 7 days for pets to determine rankings. About the time you get them comfortable with wac other, the big guy will be moving out. Personally, I would let them all free in the house. The new guy will hide if he doesn't want to play.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'd separate them. After all, he is only going to be there a week. Why make his entire week before another move stressful?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• 7 days is not a long duration to separate/isolate this cat,. This is especially considering that it will take much longer than 1 week for this cat to accept and adjust to all the other animals and vice versa. The cat will be much less stressed in a quiet area on his own. Furthermore, adding him into your pack of pets is going to be stressful on them, and that could possibly trigger some undesirable behaviors and reactions.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:07 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I agree with dancinintherain.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:21 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Upshe, it may sound mean, but separating him is most likely the kindest thing you could do. It sounds like he's in a strange place, missing his family, and being snuffled by strange animals every time he takes a step or two. Give him a room by himself, even a bathroom ~ with litter, food, water, and if possible a piece of clothing from 'home' (something that smells familiar). Visit him and give him attention when you feed him, or if he cries.

I give a new pet that much time when their permanent home will be with me. That way all of the animals can get used to the others being there without the stress of a potential fight. In a week this cat will have to adapt and get used to an entirely new place from the sounds of it ... so just let him chill and make sure he's comfortable.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If he's only going to be there a week I would seperate them and save him a lot of stress. If you thought about keeping him I would let them slowly get used to each other. But since you aren't there is really no use to socialize them. Be careful. when i was a teenager a neighbor's cat put her poodles eye out scratching it.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2011