26 month old will not sleep

Going to bed, staying in bed, naps.. All a BIG battle

MeganMom2006

Asked by MeganMom2006 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Getting my 27 mos old to bed was a complete disaster. I would fight him for hours to get him to sleep and when he finally would go it would last maybe an hour if I was lucky. He did this for 14 months. Finally right after his 2nd B-day his dr told me to try Melatonin. You cab purchase it at GNC. I crush it up and put it is in sippy bout 15-30 mins before his bedtime. It is an herb and is supp to be all safe. But it has really helped him. He usually falls asleep bout 30 mins after we go to bed and he sleeps for bout 3 hours straight now. I would talk to his dr first though. Good luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I'm not against crying it out.. but what I would do is give him specific nap and bed times. Usually right after lunch time is a good time for a nap. His tummy is full and will sleep better. Let him cry and whine about it. Whether he falls asleep or not make sure that he is in his bed at least for an hour for nap time..whether or not he falls asleep. and as for bed time.. he goes to bed at a certain time.. whether he falls asleep at that time or not. He can cry all he wants.. he'll eventaully cry himself to sleep. and it will get easier as time goes by.
    EmmysMom85

Answer by EmmysMom85 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2008