What led you to decide to homeschool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in

• It proved to be the very best decision all the way around...For us as a family, religion 24/7 is a very important part.
    Since I am no longer working she receives Medicaid and SSI. She is in a program through MHMR called Texas Home Living. This aid has allowed me to get special therapy for her...She still has Speech, but had Physical and Occupational Therapy...
    I have had to adjust my ways of teaching.
    We now have a relationship I never could have had with her had I kept on teaching...
    For the time being we are focusing on Life Skills. She understand everything in English and Spanish and is beginning to form two and three word sentences...I do not subscribe to a curriculum...but have a very good idea as to how to sequence...I also have relied much on the internet and can use many materials from my ESL stash.
    Mamas, anyone can homeschool their children. It is a lot of work and requires discipline. :)
    I highly recommend it.
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 9:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would like to know, too..I'm thinking about homeschooling my Son. Bumping for you!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I part time homeschool is you want to call it that. My daughter goes to kindergarten 5 days a week 3 hours a day. I do stuff with her at home because I feel she's advanced for the things she's learning in her class and I know she needs the challenge. Even her teacher said so (but they won't put her ahead a grade).
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have only one choice for a school in my rural area and though the teachers did they best they could the administration wanted me to medicate my child for ADD when he was 5 even after tests from his doctor proved he didn't have ADD..turns out he was pumped full of sugar at breakfast and lunch with sugary snacks between..also not every child learns the same way and one on one is impossible to provide in a class of 20 or more children
    lauramphillips

Answer by lauramphillips at 9:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I am a certified teacher K-8. Most of my 21 years of teaching were in the Catholic school, grades 2-6 and the public 3rd and 4th Bilingual/ESL.
    I got to the point that teaching wasn't fun anymore...Too much paperwork, too many admins hovering over me just too much stress.
    I decided to depart after 9 years. I loved my kids, I loved being with the immigrants coming over from Mexico, Central America and a very few from South America. The parents of these kids were unbelievably humble and still respected the teacher....

However, my Down Syndrome child was in the public school. They taught her how to sign, many life skills and to do small tasks...I am so grateful for that...About age 16 teenagedom set in and she was starting to act out..The laws DO NOT protect mentally challanged kids...So before she would do something that would lead us down the road of law suits, I withdrew her...
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 9:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2011