How can I stop feeling this way?

I am so depressed. My husband is gone and I just have nothing to look forward to until July when he comes home. I put on a happy face and do get out of the house and work on things but especially at night I just feel so alone after my son goes to bed. What am I supposed to do now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Health

• Is he in the military? Find a project?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Is your husband in the military? Can you join a support group for women in your situation? Why not learn a new hobby, take up arts and crafts. I would try to keep busy....Good luck. PS if you get really depressed you might try seeing a therapist...
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Do you have a close friend or family member you can talk to? Maybe try a therapist? Big hugs.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It is really tough to not have something to look forward to. Maybe think of a goal (grow your hair out, lose weight, learn Spanish, take karate, whatever) and then surprise your dh when he gets home. Also, find a few good books. Nights can be hard. The key is to keep busy, find a passion and pursue it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes he is military. I do have hobbies but I still feel very depressed. I have never in my life been a depressed person, I am always very outgoing and happy so I don't know why all of the sudden I feel like this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• that would be really hard. Is he in the military. maybe you can find a project or a good book but just know that he is coming!! I hope the time passes fast for you
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 9:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Stop thinking about "when he comes home" and focus on the here and now. Read up about other philosphies, such as Buddhism. It teaches about living "in the moment" and how to regain that joy that children have: a genuine fascination with every little dewdrop and flower, every soap bubble and every butterfly. Just take joy in all the amazing moments in life.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Hun it's hard waiting for someone. I've been there a time or two. I went into therapy for a very short period of time. It really helped me get through those lonely days and nights. Hugs
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Oh
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Its very hard waiting for a loved one to come back into you daily life. I agree with some previous advice that you should do your best to try and get out join some volunteer group or part time job. Something to get you out AND around other people that will fill your mind with other thoughts. Reading good books at night is great too because nighttime is really hard. Use this extra time to take up some hobbies that you will enjoy or can share when your husband comes home. If this doesn't help you may want to talk to a therapist. This has got to be a difficult life for anyone especially in society today where most people are very much to themselves. You may also find that there are some physical, hormonal changes going on with you and maybe need medication.
    anewmom3811

Answer by anewmom3811 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2011