How can I potty train a toddler who just refuses to try?

Our nearly three year old is a little behind where he should be communication wise also. My husband was deployed for nearly a year and it caused our son to be withdrawn. Now that my husband is back our son is getting better, but he is just refusing to get out of diapers. What can we try that will make it any easier for us all?

LeahIreland

Asked by LeahIreland at 9:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just wait until he's ready. My son was four, or a little older, when he finally potty trained. My daughter was right around three when shew as potty trained as well.

The more you push the more he'll resist and the more of a power struggle it will become.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I've got 6 kids, only one still in daipers. My advice is to wait until he's ready. There is nothing more frustrating in parenting than trying to toilet train a child who doesn't feel ready - for whatever reason and whatever his age. Just don't stress about it, he'll get tired of diapers and interested in learning if you let him do it in his own time, maybe with just occasional gently reminders that it is an option. But don't make it a battleground, or it'll just destroy your relationship with him and make everyone miserable.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Have you tried pull ups? Underwear? My daughter is 3 and she wears underwear but pull ups at night still since she isn't fully trained for the night. I notice that when she has a pull up on she is lazy about using the potty because she knows that the pull up will absorb it whereas underwear won't. I would try putting him in some underwear and see how he does. It also helped to get panties with characters my daughter likes. Good luck.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 9:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Wait until they are ready. It is much easy that way.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:18 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i went through the same thing. my son wasnt potty trained fully til after his 4th bday. they know when they r ready. i was told dont force boys cuz it will cause issues down the road. i waited and my son did it all by himself. he only needed to be taught how to aim at the toilet and not my wall next to it! lol its frustrating but these days what isnt
    ?
    jburns52

Answer by jburns52 at 1:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• What a pain..I tried to push my kids into potty training..I had to wait until they were ready :( hope he gets to where he wants to go in the potty soon!
    aebrown

Answer by aebrown at 9:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2011