How and at what age?

How did you get your kids off the bottle? How old were they? I am having the hardest time getting my 14 month old of his bottle. I was able to get my two older boys off by 13 months.

JessMomToDLA

Asked by JessMomToDLA at 9:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• My oldest was about 14 months when he stopped drinking from a bottle. He started drinking from a cup around 6-7 months. My youngest is 16 months right now. He is still on the bottle. He is just now starting to like the cup more. I put water in his cup and milk in his bottle right now. He gets 2-3 bottles a day and the rest water from a cup. I am just hoping he will be completely off the bottle by age 2.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Im lucky my kis never haa a bottle. I beastfed exclusvely and when it came for juice an such went straight to sippy cups. The Nubi ones are great.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I had a dreadful time getting our firstborn off the bottle. He didn't completely give it up until he was like 4 years old. So I never gave a bottle to my subsequent 5 kids: they went straight from breast to cup. Good luck!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i dont believe in taking stuff like that away from a kid. my dd walked away from her bottle at 3, her twin brother is still very attached at 5. my ss's psychiatrist (he sees for an abusive past with his bio mom) says she has never seen anyone go to college with one, so it's not worth the fight
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 9:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My 4 lost them between 11 1/2 and 13 months. But we started weening them earlier than that. by 10 months they were usually down to just 3 bottles. At 11 months I took away. Then by 12 months they were usually only getting 1 bottle a day and once the formula fan out the bottles were gone.
    I never confused them by giving them other liquids in the bottle. A bottle is for feeding a baby a meal (formula) not for drinking. Cups are for drinks. They also started using sippy cups at 5-6 months so when they turned 12 there were no conflicts at all. I expect things to go just as smoothly with the last one (now 8 months).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• MY son was Interested in cups by 11 months, I put him on the Dr. Browns Transition sippy cup at 1 year when he started drinking whole milk =) Every child is different, Some stay on the bottle much longer, there is nothing wrong with that. Make sure your baby sees you drinking from cups.. it will intrigue them =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My son will have bottles for as long as he wants. I have, however, weaned him down to twice a day and it will stay like that til he weans himself. During the day he gets a sippy. Its best for the babies to wean themselves because there is nothing wrong with having bottles. Not even for dental health. Its just societies way of controlling how people think just like society's view pf a beautiful woman is stick thin uber tall with blonde hair and big boobs.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 2:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2011