I want to know some adoption info.

I would like to adopt an infant later in my life, I'm just wondered for those that have knowledge about the costs and experiences with it. (=

MrsPerry13

Asked by MrsPerry13 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Adoption

• free if you go through the foster system
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• The costs vary greatly depending on if you go through an agency or have an open adoption. Local or international. When we adopted our grandchildren (2) The grand total costs was about $13000. And we got off cheaply compared to others. My Aunt adopted through an agency over 20 yrs ago and it cost them about $25K for one child.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Check with your employer...Some employers offer adoption assistance as well as parental leave once you get the baby. I have a friend who had a foster child from birth and adopted him at 3 yrs and she paid $3,000 even though he was in the foster system. But most traditional adoptions cost anywhere between $15K and $20K. Watch out for those pregnant women who want you to give them money and items while they are pregnant and then you later find out they promised several families the baby just to get as much money as possible.
    LillyMommy

Answer by LillyMommy at 9:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I adopted a my little girl from a girl I knew and it only cost about $4000. Now I am adopting my little boy through foster care and it isnt costing anything. (((And I got every penny back from adopting my little girl through a tax credit.))) like the previous poster said it just depends on how you go about adopting a child..... Good luck with it :)
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• To add to what PP said - the tax credit is now fully refundable. We are getting back all that we spent on both adoptions (it had been in a carryover and we may never have seen some of it). That is allowing us to pay off all our debts and part of what we owe on our vehicle. Make sure you keep all receipts. I'm always on the phone with the IRS every year making sure I'm doing it right.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would wait and ask again when you are ready. The laws and processes seem to change every year, there is no way to predict what the trend will be in a couple of years. You are smart to want to think things over early but be prepared to know that nothing ever seens to be a constant so keep doing your research .

The tax credit is threatened to be taken away almost every time it renews so you may not be able to count on that. It is nice when you are eligible for it.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 11:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Please check out my group here on CM, M.A.M.A. (Making Adoption More Affordable). PM me as well. We just adopted twins 9 months ago.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:41 PM on May. 1, 2011