Really??

ive heard that contractions feel like bad menstrual cramps...someone mentioned tylenol,  i was wondering if anyone has ever taken tylenol and if so, does it help take atleast a little bit of the edge off??? i wanna give birth naturally but wasnt sure if tylenol would help at all or not???

1sttimemom2011

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have given birth naturally once and with epidurals twice. I guarantee that once you get into hard labor, tylenol will not even make a dent :-) Not sure what other women have experienced but my contractions were nothing like even the worse menstrual cramps I ever experiences......so much more intense you can barely breath through them...... My opinion??? Get an epidural (lol)
    LillyMommy

Answer by LillyMommy at 9:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I AGREE!!! Tylenol? nooo it would be like taking sweettarts..lol I gave birth naturally once (not by choice) and DEAR LORD, that was crazy. I truly believe with an epidural you get to enjoy your childbirth! My first pregnancy was wonderful, i would have done it again back to back. My second, holy cow! lol Good luck!!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I had 3 babies with zero meds - they did try to give me some IV pain medication but that didn't touch it, just made me so loopy I couldn't stand it. Tylenol would never touch a contraction. If you ignore the people saying stuff like "omg it hurts so bad", and you give yourself pep talks daily leading up to it, etc, you can do it. If you want to do it naturally, you will. It was a wonderful thing to be able to actually feel what was going on - yeah it hurt but I knew why and as soon as each baby was born the pain was GONE - that reward at the end is so worth it! You can do it mama!
    Anonymous

• i don't know that tylenol is going to help much once you get into labor... they did help my BH though...
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:13 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I can't imagine Tylenol doing much once things really get going, but it may be good early in labor.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:31 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Tylenol wouldn't help much. In pre-labor, it may help since the contraction you have are not as intense. (And then, I'd say warm bath, Tylenol, and Benadryl. Or warm bath and a half a glass of wine.) I've given birth twice without medication and I can't say Tylenol would have helped at all. Tylenol barely helped with the after pains.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:16 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Tylenol won't touch that kind of pain, but you don't have to go all the way to an epidural in terms of pain management. Before things get too intense during labor, talk with your nurse about pain management options other than an epidural, both pharmacological and non-pharmacological.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:40 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I had a natural birth. I found that moving around, taking hot showers, getting in the birthing tub, etc, were good ways to manage my pain.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011