HELP!

My daughter is almost 16 months now, at 12 months we weened her off the bottle and put her on toddler milk (along with a big menu of new foods) at about 13 - 14 months she was almost completely off the bottle altogether. She always ate anything we gave her and loved all of it. We NEVER had a problem feeding her. Than she started only wanting fruits and that fruits stopped almost all together and it was just yogurt and when yogurt stopped it was cheese. That seems to be the only thing I can get her to eat during the day besides applejuice. She won't drink milk unless it's got a little bit of chocolate in it (I don't like to do it but sometimes it's the only way to get something in her belly) I tried taking the cheese and the filling drinks away but she still refuses. It's getting so bad that i'm a day or two away from calling her doctor to find out what I can do but i'm hoping I can get some advice on some things to try first. I thought maybe she was just bored with the flavors and tried to cook a vast majority of flavorful foods but she'll take one bite won't open for anymore. I feel like i'm losing my mind trying to keep her healthy! I know they say "your kids will eat when they are hungry" but for days at a time??? Really?? (added to it, she will eat a max of maybe a few crackers and cheese during the day but that's it, everyday) Has anyone else gone through this? It's making my always happy baby a very cranky hard to handle child, I can't leave the house very much now because she acts out so much.

Humanerror99

Asked by Humanerror99 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was and is the same way. He's 2 1/2 now and he'll have days where he will barely eat anything. I remember when he was 16/18 months he wouldn't eat ANYTHING. Then one day he just started eating again. I think it's a phase all toddlers go through. If you're worried, call the doctor. I hope things get better soon!
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Maybe call the local WIC office, as well as your doctor's office, to see what can be done...maybe a child nutritionist can help you. GL
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 9:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Well with this age they are very picky eaters my now 3 year old daughter was kind of the same way she is still a BIG cheese eater to this day. She also will not drink milk for me at all so we usually try and get her to eat other things that have calcium it them like yogurt and what not. She drinks watered down apple juice most of the time. I would just try putting a little bit of a few different things infront of her and let her choose what she wants to eat. At this age try not to worry too much about keeping it all healthy all of the time especially if she isn't eating a lot. Keep the kid friendly containers of crackers and fruit snacks and other things nearby so she can have them if she wants. She will grow out of this my 3 year old did and now she wants to eat all the time! Lol. GL momma.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 10:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Well, I would call a doctor but my son went through the same thing and my doc said he will eat when he is hungry, and dont you know, as soon as i stopped worrying, he started eating. I just put food out and tried different things, even if it fries from mcdonalds or whatever.. just give her a few fun options smileface pancakes or stuff like that and try a day of just not caring and see what happens. The nutritionist also said, the amount a food a child that age requires is sooo very little you wouldn't believe it, so you think shes not eating enough but infact she is eating just right. Just keep trying but don't worry. Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'll ask her pediatrician if she could refer me to a child nutritionist. It's driving me crazy cause I know she has to be hungry and she's so tiny! All the other kids I see her age are cute little chunkers. haha Mine a cute little stick, which is fine, but it makes me wonder if other people are seeing something I don't when I constantly get asked why she's so skinny! But she went to a doc appointment less than a month ago and she didn't say anything.
    Humanerror99

Comment by Humanerror99 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My daughter tried refusing to eat. I held a bowl in front of her with a spoon full of food... someone else would coax her into thinking she was getting her passy (this was before 18 months) and I would shov a bite in her mouth and almost hold her mouth shut until she swallowed. It sounds mean but she was refusing to eat at all.
    My mom claims the doctors always told her if we were eating not to worry.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• she'll eat eventually. Louis CK has a great stand up comedy you may enjoy regarding his kids' eating habits.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would call a wic office or the doctor.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:13 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have had this struggle very often. I supplement diet with a multi-vitamin, and yes I have been known to play the chocolate milk game and my son to this day won't eat cheese. I have found that the hunger strike starts followed by a eating overload and a growth spurt over time so I have started to just not worry about it. I have learned to think of DS's nutrition in the course of a week and not in a day and keep offering heatlthy food options. You might want to check with your ped if you think that your daughter is actually hungry and her behavior is different. She may have a simple issue like acid reflux where she has learned certain foods will give her an acid attack or she may have a milk allergy. I have had days where I feel like the worlds worst mom because my kid has lived on goldfish crackers and apple juice and refused dinner.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 14, 2011