My 4 year old son has a doll that he'd asked for-would you do the same?

My DH and I had disagreed on whether to get him the doll or not-my experience, especially after working with preschoolers and kindergarteners, is there is not an issue with a boy playing with a baby doll b/c it nurtures the daddy inside him, and my son had convinced me for sure when he cradled a newborn doll in the store and fed it the pacifier with love in his eyes. Hubby was worried that it might make him gay or too girly (I disagree, btw, personally with the gay lifestyle but if one of my children told me they were gay I wouldn't love them any less-the partner would even be welcome in my home, just no kissing, etc. as I feel it would encourage a lifestyle that's against my morals). I told DH that the time to be concerned about that is if the kid is telling you they dont like their private parts, that a boy wants to wear dresses 24/7 and basically BE a girl-but playing with dolls is NO DIFFERENT than a girl playing with trucks. And he's plenty boy-he'll ask me, "you wanna fight?" and we wrestle-and he plays rough at times with his older brother too. What's your take on things ladies?

purplerobin

Asked by purplerobin at 9:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I totally agree with you. I have a similar problem with mine. He wanted a stroller but he was uncle to a newborn niece so he wanted to take care of his own baby like his sister was. So I thik its normas and is just like a girl playing with trucks.
    tmrose03

Answer by tmrose03 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Let him play with a doll the bigger the deal the more he'll won't to so hand him a doll an I bet he will be interested in something else before to long
    Twins247

Answer by Twins247 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Ok im sorry if this sounds rude but my husband said this to a friend of ours when her husband felt the same way....."its ppl who think that way now and then wonder when there boys get older why they dont wanna be a dad or have anything to do with there babies b/c to them playing with a baby will make them gay" well my take on this is BUY him the doll momma my son is 2.5 and has 3 baby dolls (one named karen who crys,eats,and sleeps) plus a bunch of stuffed animals he treats like babies but has just as many plus some of trucks trains cars balls all boy things
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'm not too worried even if he gets super-attached to this doll. I dont think it's anything to discourage anyway-it's not like he wants to play barbies or something, right? tehehe
    purplerobin

Comment by purplerobin (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My son had a baby when he was 3. He had to treat his baby just like a real baby, no swinging them around, hitting all of that. He has been a PERFECT big brother to a brother and 3 sisters.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Um my son got a Princess Fiona doll for his birthday and she was "flying" in my bedroom today while Woody from Toy Story was eating his breakfast upside down. I see no problem with it I think it helps his imagination. He was outside the other day shoveling mud onto his sled. So do dolls make boys "girly" I don't think so I believe we have the bigger problem, we judge toys and in doing that we label our children unintentionally.

sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 10:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

nothing wrong with playing with barbies my husband had 3 times more babries then i did when we were kids and our son has 2 of them i think somewhere
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with your son having a baby doll. It teaches them to be sweet, caring, and like you said it nurtures the daddy inside them.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• myboys-I DO agree with getting my son the doll and hubby actually ended up buying one-though reluctantly. He had initially insisted on the doll being a "boy" but I said it doesn't make a difference, and boy dolls are harder to find, unless you buy one through Lakeshore (expensive-made for preschools). I totally agree with you, but wasn't sure why you thought you sounded rude. Kudos on your kidddo having 3 dolls, btw!
    purplerobin

Comment by purplerobin (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I agree with you. When my oldest was little (around 3-4 years) he ask for a doll and I bought for him. It did not hinder him form growing up to be a great young man and he is very into girls, one in particular that he is really into.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 10:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011