6 week old wont sleep...please please please help me!

I had a beautiful, healthy baby boy 6 weeks ago. Zachariah is a very happy baby with one problem. He WONT sleep. During the day and at night he will only sleep 45 min at a time at the most. Some times its only 20 min and you have to get up and re rock him all over. Please help me. He gets a nightitme (lavender) bath everynight and swaddled at night and still he wont sleep. I will take any advice. Please help me. Im so tired im crying and I have a 20 month old to take care of too!!

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 10:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The bath and swaddling are great keep that up my now 3 month old still gets swaddled to go to bed. Do you give him a binky? Some parents are against it but you might want to try it especially if you are at the point of crying and what not. Keep in mind too that doctors say that babies will start sleeping better and through the night when they are between 11-13lbs so unfortunately you might have a little ways to go. However he should be sleeping more than 45 mins at a time. I would truly try the pacifier. It can do wonders. Oh I almost forgot also maybe try this stuffed animal that plays different sounds, such as a heartbeat, the ocean, rain, etc. I think its called a sleep sheep that helped my babies too. GL momma! Remember it will get better!
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 10:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• hugsSee your pediatrician ASAP-maybe there's something physical going on with your little one...there are also these things you can put in their beds that make sounds like mommies heartbeat-hope this helps hon. If I lived close enough to you I'd offfer to come to your house a couple nights and let you konk out.

purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 10:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I also think, that if you are open to co sleeping, it might be helpful to try it. I understand it's not for everyone, but it's good to know that co sleeping can be very safe, as long as you follow the basic cosleeping guidelines.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• have you tried co-sleeping? as for daytime you could try babywearing. My fav for that is a Moby wrap.  Then you can get stuff done while holding baby. 

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• personally I co-sleep to get enough rest. I have a 2 1/2 yr old, 18 month old and a 6 month old. I co-slept with everyone of them. and just for anyone that wants to bash on co-sleeping none of my kids have ever been harmed and both my older kids sleep in their own beds, in their own rooms perfectly fine!

Anyways do what you have to do to get rest. If he likes to sleep with you then thats what you gotta do because your going to need to get plenty of rest to keep up with those kids, take it from someone who knows!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Some babies just don't sleep long periods of time. And, he's only 6 weeks old. He's still very little...I agree with the co sleeping. I co slept (still do with my 20 month old) with my children and it was much easier to just pop a breast into the babies mouth when they stirred awake. This way, I didnt' really have to fully awake. I know it's hard and I feel for you, you poor thing! Keep the faith that one day he will sleep better :)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I can't co sleep, it scares me. Even when I breastfeed I get up and sit in a chair. Zach is 12.5 lbs and he easts every two to four hours. I do have a womb bear that I will try tonight. As for the moby...how do you use that. I've tried it a few times in the last couple days and I don't think im doing it right. Thanks for all the advice ladies. Do you thiink its ok for him to sleep in a swing??
    randibosin

Comment by randibosin (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• By the way. Im not against co sleeping its just a scary thought...I don't trust my husband. Lol. He's a sound sleeper!
    randibosin

Comment by randibosin (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Maybe he is not eating enough. It could be just a phase, so many people ask about tiny babies and not sleeping? To me sometimes they will sleep for hours other times not at all. He's a baby, I never would have thought to question it, i'd assume, thats what happens with babies? If it became truly TERRIBLE where he really NEVER slept then i'd be concerned, but i don't know.I hope it gets better for you.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Do you have a swing? Whenever our little one seemed fussy, we would put her in the swing and the motion would put her to sleep, other than that, I would just try a sound sleeper or what you have that makes womb noises......good luck!
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2011