Gender Disappointment..Taboo?

I am pregnant for the first time with a baby boy. We're about 5 1/2 months along now, and I'm so excited it's ridiculous. DH and I have been trying for two years!
Now, of course I know I will love him to pieces. I do already.
But to be honest, I have been dying for a girl my whole life. I have two older brothers, and between them have 6 sons. On my fathers side, all of my cousins together have 8 boys, and one girl, Bella. Needless to say, boys are in abundance, and girls scarce.
I was sad when I came out of my ultrasound, mostly because I knew everyone was waiting for my call to tell them a girl was on the way..
They were all disappointed.
As for me, I've been dreaming of dresses and hairbows and purple everything, shoe shopping and giggles, boys and periods and mother-daughter bonding that I never had with my own mother.
Now the only thoughts flying around my head are little boys growling at dump trucks and screaming and hitting and drugs..*sigh*
What am I gonna do with a boy?
Any suggestions or thoughts?

Squirellybur

Asked by Squirellybur at 10:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• get dirty, play with bugs, go fishing, camping.....and try again for a girl.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I wanted a boy then a girl well i got 2 boys and omg i wouldnt reade it i told my husband if we have anymore i would love a girl but would love even more to have another boy there amazing
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I thought the same and now have 2 boys, thought my 2nd was a girl for sure and eventhough it hurt inside a bit, you will get over it instantly when you see him. My boys are 5 and 10mths and eventhough i still want a girl, they are super, and noy as bad as you think when you picture "crazy boys" lol they are a true joy and the best thing in my life!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Hey, boys can be great too! my eldest is 20 and I'm so proud of him I could just scream. He's handsome, smart, sensitive and philosophical. To be honest, I was a little disappointed when I found out my second was another boy, but then we had two girls, then another boy, then another girl. I know what you mean about baby girls, but honestly boys are absolutely wonderful too.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I always wanted my first to be a girl too. But I too had a boy first. Can't even tell you how fun it is to be a mom of boys! My 2nd was a boy too. Then number 3 came around, baby girl. Got to say after having had 2 boys I now was terrified of having a girl. All I knew was boys. So really it all works out to be what you are meant to have.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Think of it this way: "Mama's boy" and "Daddy's girl". Boys LOVE their Mama's, and it seems like girls tend to gravitate towards their Daddy's. So enjoy that special bond with your new son, and hope and pray for a girl the next time around, if you get the chance :)
    vixenmama

Answer by vixenmama at 10:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Look at it this way: a lot of gender expectations are really stereotypes. I always wanted a girl to play dolls with... I loved dolls when I was little. I have a boy and two girls, and you know what? My girls both HATE dolls! Never once have they wanted to do the 'girl stuff' I envisioned doing with them. Ironically, out of the three kids my son and I have the most in common- and he was the one I was most freaked out to have, because I'm an only girl of an only girl of an only girl and knew virtually nothing about boys. It will work out fine and you will wonder why the idea of a boy was so intimidating in the first place! I also find it helps to keep it in perspective this way: I'm sure on the day you had your u/s, someone else in that clinic got real bad news... like a m/c, or a baby with a serious problem. You have a healthy baby growing, and that's the most important thing! Good luck with your little guy!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:40 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i was excited to have a boy because he is the only grandkid on my families side and the only boy for now. i hate it though because he's got such pretty hair!!!! its already about an inche past his sholders....and i know when i have a girl, we are gonna keep having kids until we get one, she will be bald!!! lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Think of how exctig that it will be for you next pregnancy to be a girl and now you will have this siduation where your son is the older brother. I like it that way. girls always want older bros. I am my momsoldst child and i always wanted a older brother to always look out for me. so think of it that way.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2011