Is it normal for my 8 week old to be sleeping A LOT?

I picked her up from her father's at 1:20. Was told she had a bottle at 12:15. And right on cue she was crying for a bottle at 2:15, but now she's just been sleeping sleeping sleeping. At 5 o'clock I was wondering why she wasn't wanting a bottle, so I fixed her up one and she would NOT wake up. I mean we passed her around one person to the next just playing with her trying to get her to wake (she is breathing and will kinda open her eyes just a little bit) but she just falls right back to sleeep. I put a bottle in her mouth anyways and she drank about 2 ounces but once again feel asleep. At 7 my mom did the same and she just drank about 3 ounces, then gave her a bath without using the shampoos that are calming trying to see if she'd wake up, but no luck. Is this normal? We're thinking maybe she was away from home and is just exhausted? Or she was giving sleeping medicine?

New_Mom09

Asked by New_Mom09 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like she was just exhausted and is fine. it is also around that age that they get a growth spert which they usually cut what they eat by half and double their sleep for a few days to a week. just before a growth spert they will increase what they eat to pack away what they need for the extra sleeping. I think of it as baby hibernating. lol.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• She is probably just growing. I had a lot of trouble with my oldest and sleeping. I swear he slept nonstop the first couple of months!! We would try everything from baths to feeding and nothing would work. I asked my doctor about it and he told me not to worry that my son was just thinking LOL. Funnily enough he is now in 4th grade and can easily do high school work.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• shes a newborn, they sleep a lot sometimes. its normal.
    Anonymous

• She’s fine every child is different some sleep more than others but to be safe call the pediatrician.
    Nikkisabella

Answer by Nikkisabella at 10:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• dont worry. your baby has been through a lot in the past few weeks. BIENG BORN. dr visits, those shots we all love so much, meeting new ppl, family friends. things like that. dont worry. all babys sleep ALOT the first few months I would take this time to recover as well. it is just as important for you to get a nap/sleep as your baby. Good luck and get some rest.
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 11:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2008