A friend of my 10 year old from her class...

Died today. We don't know why yet, but, what can I say to explain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Difficult to explain to her. She needs to know though she has lost her friend she has her mom & all others with her whom she loves...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• The school counselor should be able to help you with how to handle it. I am sorry for your daughter's loss.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Love her, hold her, and just get ready for lots of questions and lots of fears.............Sorry you are going through this. That is horrible. If you sit and just listen that is all she will need for now just knowing you are there. Good luck to you all!
    lildylant

Answer by lildylant at 12:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I know that will be hard to explain to her. She will probably have a lot of questions. Just be there for her and tell her you love her often in order to help her get through this. It's not going to be easy to explain it to her, I wish I knew what to tell you.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• lost of any classmate is hard it is some you see in the hall way or have in your home room class
    just hold her let her cry it will feel good for her and talk to her as much as you can there are books out their that can help you how talk to kids lost of friend or love one get one they do help and good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• there should be counselors available to help with this during this time it is hard to explain to a child when someone dies just let her know you are there for her and if she needs to talk just let her talk, cry or whatever

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It will be hard on her, because it seems senseless for someone so young to die... no matter the reason. The other ladies are right, you are going to have to be a crying shoulder for her, as well as a source of answers... if I were you I would use all of the resources available to me: counsellors, books, etc. This might also be a good time to help her through some of the unanswered questions that she has. I used to teach 9 & 10 year old girls, and one day I opened up the class to any questions that they had, and one of the most widely asked subject that they were scared to talk to their parents about was death... You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you both find your way through this... Best wishes and sorry for your loss....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If you are religious this is when you turn to your faith! Your pastor may be able to offer some resources to go along with those from the school counselor.

I am really sorry for your child. When my oldest was in Kindergarten a classmate died in a car wreck. He was young so the "he went to Heaven to be with God" thing worked well. The school was a church school and they had a special prayer service. The kids made paper candles and they lit the church with real candles...everything had the kids in mind. It was really nice.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thank you all for your advice. I did tell my dd and she was very upset of coarse. I know there are so many unexplained things. (she suddenly got sick and after being sent home from a hospital one night, she died the next.) I told my dd to feel free to ask me anything. Well, she did. Her first question was "since she was muslim, do they still go to heaven?" Do they believe in God? Well I can't answer that yet. I will have to do some research. I'm sure the kids will have a rough time going back to school since we are on spring break this week. Hopefully counselors will be available Monday.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• wow do u guys believe in GOD ? if so tell her she went to be with GOD and that she is a little angel now
    frances693

Answer by frances693 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2011