In YOUR opinion:

Let's say Jane and Joe are married. Bob is Jane's brother. Dave is Joe's brother. Are Bob and Dave brothers in law?

I'm asking because DH and I disagree as to whether or not they are "in laws" but I'll wait for responses before I say who thinks what.

Thanks ladies.

dmdblleb

Asked by dmdblleb at 10:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• BROTHER-IN-LAW, domestic relat. The brother of a wife, or the husband of a sister. There is no relationship, in the former case, between the husband and the brother-in-law, nor in the latter, between the brother and the husband of the sister; there is only affinity between them. See Vaughan's Rep. 302, 329. http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Brother-in-law

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes, I looked up the definition and the definition explained it as a brother or sister of the bride or groom (on the opposite side of the family) is considered to be a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I say no they are not, but.. that's not official, just my opinion..lol
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• no
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• TECHNICALLY, I guess they would be, but I doubt if my brother would ever consider my husband's sister his sister-in-law...or vice versa.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Definition: A brother-in-law (plural brothers-in-law) is the brother of one's spouse, the husband of one's sister, or the husband of one's spouse's sister
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Maybe not technically, but I refer to my husband's sister's husband as my BIL.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:28 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• no
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 12:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes. That's why it's called brother in law, right?
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 11:25 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I don't think they are brothers in law. My mother and his mother aren't any more "in laws" than our brothers are.
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011