5 year old with leg and foot cramps and joint aches?

My daughter is 5 this past Oct. She recently has been waking up crying during the night for me to rub her calves or feet (or both) and complains also that her knees hurt.We'll generally do this several times during the night (but not every night) before I break down and give her Ibuprofen.Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing these pains?She isn't in any sort of physical sports or dance.She's 3'9" and 40lbs.She's also 1/2 Korean and 1/2 Caucasian.

mizpiggy

Asked by mizpiggy at 10:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Has she taken a growing spurt recently. I know my oldest son had trouble with alot of leg pains when he was growing. The dr told me it was growing pains. He was growing faster then was normal and his bones, tendons, and muscles were trying to catch up. I gave my son "Calcium with vitamin D".
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 10:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• growing pains,I get muscle cramps in my legs and toes,I've recently been taking magnesium and its taking the cramps away. Sounds like your child is low in something.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I freind of mine's son went thru this... his doc said it was a magnesium deficiency... can't hurt to give a multi vitamin... it may help

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• All 3 of my kids went through this but my oldest son was the worst. he'd cry so hard through the night with leg pains. We'd give Motrin and then rub his legs/muscles quite hard until he fell asleep. It soothed him more the harder we rubbed. That went on for a few years. He was checked out a few times and each time we were told it was growing pains. If it worries you it wouldn't hurt to check with her doctor just to make sure. Good luck because I know it can cause a lot of sleepless nights for everyone.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Remove dairy from her diet. Have her iron levels checked. Could be restless leg syndrome caused by low iron. Dairy interferes with the absorption of iron.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• it could be juvinal arthrius (i totally didnt spell it right lol) but google it or talk to her doc about JA. only girls get it and it tends to be out grown but it can show up again later in ife, my big sister had it.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• talk to her doctor and see what they have to say
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2011