Do you ever do your own computer repairs?

I can't afford to keep paying the geek squad a small fortune to "fix" my dh computer so for the last 2 weeks I have been learning a ton about being a computer tech. Do you know Geek squad wanted to charge me $140 for a OS install ... you put the disk in and follow the prompts! Even with problems and not having any real skills but the ability to use the internet it only took 3 hours (and you know they would have charged me more for the problem) Only thing i havent tackled was putting in the new hard drive, but my dad says with the right tools it isn't so hard. I think for that kind of money I am thinking of going into Mac servicing!

Anyone else experienced the adventure of computer repair?

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Technology

• DIY is ideal vs. getting taken by those commercial companies. I am fortunate to have a DH that is next to genius about that stuff, but look out hubby! I'm going to school for it now so I can become saavy too. My suggestion would be to do your research on specific companies, there are even independent people out there with small businesses, just check their credentials and work history. Word of mouth is a pretty good way to find someone wonderful. Ask a friend or neighbor or even store clerk, someone you trust. That's awesome that you did your research!
    mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 9:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Dh does all our computer repairs. I don't know how to fix what's wrong with a computer I just know how to use it if that makes sense at all.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I replaced the hard drive on my laptop. It cost me about $35

Answer by rkoloms at 4:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011