What happens at the first appointment?

Okay so I am going to be 6 weeks on Wednesday..and I went to the doctor once but all they did was confirm the pregnancy and refer me to an OB/GYN at the UCLA medical center (one of the great things about being a UCLA student!!) So my first actual baby appointment is on Monday, December 15th. So I'll be 8 weeks and 5 days...What will I see?! :)

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They will so a pap exam on you, bloodwork and usually a vaginal u/s to confirm dates. Good luck!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I remember first filling out and answering a few questions about the pregnancy, then getting a pap smear done, getting blood taken, and possibly a sonogram, might have been the next visit though, and talking a lot with the doctor about what should and shouldn't be done. Your doctor should actually fill you in on what's going to happen every time you come in.
    Each doctor is different though. I had a friend who didn't even see her doctor until she was almost 6 months pregnant.
    New_Mom09

Answer by New_Mom09 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• First they will take a full medical history, unless you signed a release at your doctor's office for them to access your medical records, then you'll have a few vials of blood drawn to check your blood type (to determine if it's negative of positive), your hcg levels to get an idea of how far along you are, and to confirm your pregnancy, and in many cases they will also test you for HIV and other STDs just to be sure. You will also have a urinalysis to test for glucose and protein in the urine, they may also do this to test your hcg levels instead of using your blood. Your height and weight will be taken, and you'll get a full physical examination.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• You will also get a pelvic exam, and a pap if you haven't had one recently. They will examine the size of your uterus by external palpitation, and from feeling from the inside. You won't be able to get the heartbeat on dopler just yet, so they might have you take a quick ultrasound to make sure your baby's little heart is beating.
    lillys_mommy09

• They didnt start measuring my uterus till I was 16 weeks along. Every doctor is different i quess.
    Anonymous

• It's the worse appnt of all, bloodwork, bloodwork, bloodwork, pap if you haven't had one recently, lots and lots of questions, taked forever. you may be hoping they will do a u/s but hipe they don't yet b/c more thn likely they won't be able to see the heartbeat yet and if they do one and they don't see the b=heartbeat yet most women get over worj=ked that there is something wrong when there may not be. Oh, and you will get a big ol goody bag of magazines and probably a book from their office. But it is an exciting appnt. Congrats and keep going, whip that man into shape too. He will come around
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 10:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2008