What would u do?

My neighbors have a bunch of dogs, we have cattle our own dogs and 3 precious kiddos... these dogs come up and get into all our stuff, get our dog upset, chases our cattle and has actually growled at my middle child. I have talked to the owners and called the cops and they ain't done anything and these dogs keep coming. What should I do?

via86

Asked by via86 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pets

• Trap the dogs, call animal control. Treat them humanely until the animal control picks them up. If animal control won't come get them, then take them to the closest animal shelter. Keep doing it until it becomes a pain in the arse for the neighbors to go and get them (usually they will have to pay to get them out of the facility) and then maybe they will get an invisible fence? Good luck
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• In this area that dog would have been shot by now. Not saying I would, but I see it all the time. If that dog is on your property do what you see fit.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• In our area (farming area) if a dog messes with livestock it would of been shot by a farmer and it is legal. I don't own livestock but I do have children and if a dog was to growl at one of my boys I'd shoot it. Sorry but it's the truth. MY children are way more important than a dog/animal. If you have spoken to the owners and animal control....do what you have to do.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:37 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Do the police know that it was growling at your child? I dont kknow much about the laws in America relating to roaming domestic pets but here they would be captured by the RSPCA/Animal control. I would keep trying and be persistant. Tell the owner that if they continue being irresponsible they will risk their dogs being taken away.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 5:03 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Man I feel for ya, there are two dogs that always get loose around us, If I were you I would talk to the owners once more,be a bit more firm or have your DH do it. Let them know if thier dogs continue to do this that you will be taking action. Good Luck!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Agree with pp ~ if it's a farming area and either you, or your family, or your own animals appear threatened ~ the strange dog is not going to make it long. Whether you do it, or a neighbor does it, someone will shoot him.

You could try talking to the neighbor once more, but they don't appear interested in keeping their dog at home. Before you end up with injured/dead animals, or worse, humans, decide what you want to do.

I used a paint ball gun once because a neighbor insisted it wasn't their dog ... but they had a cop out to see their green pup ... and, they kept him home after that. I personally wouldn't hesitate to shoot ANY dog that was harassing my livestock or got belligerent with any human.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• texassahm has a good idea. Trap them and take them to your local shelter. Tell them about the aggression and the attacks on your cattle. The dogs will have to be evaluated before even the owners can take them and they will have to pay to get their animal from the shelter. I'm sure that after having to pay for them enough times, they'll either control their animals or stop picking them up and they'll find new homes. Hopefully either away from you or with a family that can keep them under control.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I would never shoot an animal unless it was trying to kill something of mine. my ex used a bb gun pumped up and one good shot from that, they never came back. my neighbor's all have dogs running everywhere. it makes my dogs bark and the neighbor's right next to me complain about my dogs barking! maybe i should turn them loose and let them annoy people. just kidding. good luck
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If they are "worrying" livestock, up where I live they can be shot.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011