Why is my 3 year old son now taking better naps than before when it was a stuggle?

Ok ever since my 3 year old turned 1years old he would fight me tooth and nails for a nap. When he turned 2 and was moved into a big boy bed i was constantly getting up, putting him back in and this would be an all day thing so i finally just gave up and sat in his room until he fell asleep.
Now he is 3 years old, same routine as before (pull up on, a healthy snack, read 2-3stories and then lay him down, it has always been like that) well now he doesn't fight me any more, i lay him down and tell him i will check on him in 10-15mins and if he is not sleeping his faves will be taken away from him. If i do hear him before the 10-15mins is up, i go to his room tell him that if he gets up again that his bee and cheetah will get taken away. I then go back downstairs procede on my routine and with in the 10-15mins he is then sleeping and all of a sudden on most days i have to wake him up. It would be him waking up with in a half hr after i lay him down. Now he sleeps from 2:45pm to 4pm and some times after and i have to wake him up.
What happend to him

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 11:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Because children go through different growth periods - Most times when they are going througha growth spurt they need more sleep. Children do 80% of their growing while they are sleeping. Did you ever think your child was taller one day than he was the previous? If not, that day is coming soon - They grow while they sleep. If their body is not in a growth spurt he or she might need less sleep.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Along with what the mom above said it's also because children this age have more energy to expel so they need more sleep. I have a 3 year old as well as she takes one nap during the day that will sometimes last up to 3 hours usually less.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 11:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I thank that its because hes getting olde and more courious whech means he thinks he gonna miss something so he will stay awake longer and it will wear him out. so he will sleep lnger at night. So enjoy it Id say its very normal Both my girls did that.Good luck there are a hand full at that stage LOL.
    momof2199

Answer by momof2199 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It probably has to do something with a growth spirt.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2011