Is it normal for my 5month old son to be so sleepy?

bedtime is at 8:30pm and he wakes up between 7:30am-8:30am (nice i know) usually i get woken up from my 3 year old before my 5month old.
Then depending on when he gets up i feed him breakfast, and he then plays for about an hr and half before he gets really fussy and ready for a nap. so if he wakes up at 7:30 or 8am he goes down for a morning nap at 9am or 9:30am and sleeps till about 12 noon. Then he eats a lunch which consists of just his bottle and is happy until about 1pm and goes for a nap at 1:30 and sleeps till about 3:30 or 3:45pm. By 4pm he eats dinner which is just his solids and he is happy till about 6pm and goes down for another nap by 4:15 and i have to then wake him up by 7pm so i can get him to bed by his bedtime.
WHY IS HE SO SLEEPY?

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 11:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure why he is so sleepy but talk to his doctor to make sure he says its ok. It seems ok to me because my kids were like that. My 1 year old still takes 1-3 naps a day, for hours at a time and still sleeps through the night. I always joke and say he is lazy, but I think maybe some kids just need more sleep.
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 11:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Babies have growth spurts that maybe all it is...Does he eat more then he use to that's another sign of growth spurts children grow when they sleep is what I have read and my DD's Doctor told me...But, you should always ask your child's doctor..As they get older they sleep less..
    newbabystarr09

Answer by newbabystarr09 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It could be a growth spurt. My 6 month old still sleeps like a newborn. She is breastfed and still wakes up in the middle of the night. However, when she wakes up in the morning she will stay up for an hour and take a two hour nap and wake up for another hour and take another nap. It all depends on the baby. Make sure baby is getting enough iron, and go with it. Eventually, your baby will want to be up all the time.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My LO has a similar schedule. She'll be six months tomorrow. She eats and plays for 1-1.5 hr.s and suddenly NEEDS a nap.
    LauraOR

Answer by LauraOR at 3:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011