Work

My husband is going through a bunch of court stuff & his lawyer has told him that until everything is over there is no point in him having a job, and I have been work for barely a month. I am a correctional officer at the local minimum security prison. I may lose you here for a second but in a 2 week schedual I work like this, Saturday, Sunday, Monday-on, Tuesday, Wednesday-off, Thursday, Friday-on, Saturday, Sunday, Monday- off, Tuesday, Wednesday-on, Thursday Friday-off.... and some of those days off I work overtime days. Now it's 12 hours a day 5:45am to 6pm & I make about $9 an hour... so the pay is pretty good & my next one will have about 20 hours overtime. But the hours are hell on me, I am a total b-word when I get home, I worked only 8 hours the other day & I was just happy go lucky. I dread going to work daily, my kids miss me, I miss my kids, & everybody pretty muchly hates me. And when I come home it's like I am still in officer mode & run things like it's a prison :( not on purpose but just habit, things must be basically perfect or I flip out. NEVER at the kids, but at my DH. I want to quit but then my entire income would be my DD's SSI. My DD has CP & is having surgery in April & the prison basically told me I can only have 2 days! The surgery is over 100 miles away and she will be in the hospital for a few days! That's not right to my baby. But I'm looking into a job at the local state school for MHMR adults & teens. I want to quit the prison & then wait til after my daughters surgery to take the other job. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Am I being selfish by wanting to quit & wait??

via86

Asked by via86 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• $9 an hour is NOT that great... I was making $11 an hour working at CVS when I was in college. I think they are screwing you paying you that little as a CO!!! Maybe you should start looking for another job ASAP!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Thats just begining pay it's supposed to bump to like 12 after my 90 probation period, but I ain't even too sure about that. I am looking at another job already, but I wanna quit this one now. The benefits aren't that good, I put myself in harms way DAILY, if I was ever to be held hostage they will let the inmate kill me instead of giving him what he wants, & to top it off, during training we had to be pepper sprayed & now my cornea in my left eye is pretty muchly gone!
    via86

Comment by via86 (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• wait until you have another job lined up before quiting, then try to work it so you start after you get back from dd's surgery
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Don't quit this job until you have another one.

Nine dollars an hour is not a living wage. I strongly recommend upgrading your skills, so you can get a better paying job. Start at a community college; take a few Microsoft Office classes (at least Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and one or two bookkeeping classes.

Good luck

Answer by rkoloms at 2:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Around here, prison jobs are very good jobs. They may have lower pay at first, but the benifits are awesome. Its hard to get in at the prison.
    I'm sorry your DH stuck you in the position you are in, but you are currently the bread winner. I would never quit a job without another lined up, ESPECIALLY if I was the only person in the house earning an income.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• And if you have eye damage from the pepper spray, file a workers comp claim.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It's one of the best payin jobs here too. It ain't that he put me in the situation it's that a man who got mad at his grandma for wanting rent that he owed her & decided to claim my DH had sex with his 15 yr old daughter! Outrageous claim considering I was with my DH on the dates & times he is claiming... but hopefully when my husband goes back to court and shows the tattoo & receipt he has & the doctors note stating he is highly allergic to latex & those other condoms it will all be done and over, since they are saying he used condoms & has no tattoo. It's just a bunch of BS and it aint my DH's fault at all. I'm ready for this crap to end.

As for the pepper spray I talked to the Warden & since I signed the release (which is a must) I'm responsible not them... but I would think with it causing damage I could file. it's a bunch of crap!!!
    via86

Comment by via86 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011