What would you do?

my older dog flat out atacked my younger dog. the younger one just backed away and did nothing.
right know the older one is staying with my old roomates at there new house for a couple of days should we give him another chance is there anything we could do to prevent the situation next time. we were thinking of stress pills.

blinkys11

Asked by blinkys11 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pets

• IMO this just happens from time to time. I have seen my older dog snap out my younger dogs, she even followed one around one day and snapped at him for no reason for about 20 minutes. I was very concerned that day, but she got over it. Dogs are like people they have bad days. I really wouldn't be concerned unless it happens more and more. Have you ever snapped at your husband/mother/sister and so on? After some time to chill out things are okay.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• You don't need to get rid of your dog...moving him out is just moving the problem and you'll risk causing him more anxiety and therefore making the problem worse.

Why not invest in a trainer or a behaviourist? Even if you cant afford for them to help you in your own home, they may be able to offer you some tips by phone or even through one session..but you HAVE to implement what they suggest consistantly otherwise there is no point.

Talk to your vet... they should be able to give u some advice, or at least reccomend someone who can. I don't agree with just getting rid of your dog without trying to work with him. Watch "it's me or the dog" with the dog trainer Victoria Stilwell, she has dealt with issues like you've described and does so without resorting to the nasty collars and stuff you sell over there. She also has a book you could purchase. But you NEED to work hard over the next few months. It'll be worth it.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 5:01 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• what are these stress pills and where can a parent find them please?
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Are you sure it was unprovoked? the younger dog could have challaged the older dog. Many people miss a lot of the signals dogs send to each other because they are so subtle. Were there any toys or anything else for that matter near by that the older dog was possibly guarding? You should have the older dog checked out by the vet and have them run blood work. There are some medical conditions that can cause dogs to become aggressive like hypothyroidism.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Have you taken the older dog to the vet? Dogs DO NOT all of a sudden turn aggressive or "round" on dogs or owners for no reason. There is always a trigger...be it a medical reason, a neglect situation or something that is causing the dog pain. Take him to the vet and see if there is something wrong.

To the fools that said you should get rid of your dog lest he attack you, please do some research BEFORE sticking your head in your ass and offering advice. Dog to Dog aggression is leaps and bounds beyond dog to human aggression. Usually dog to dog aggression is because the older dog is showing the newer dog who is dominant. It happens mostly in dogs that are not neutered or spayed, or in males that are protecting their female and property.

Take the dog to the vet and go from there. DO NOT get rid of your dog.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• When did you get the younger dog? Did he do anything to provoke the older one? I'm a sucker for older dogs...I had a 13 year old collie. So I would say give him another chance. Just like elderly people, older dogs do get confused or aggrivated by things that they might not have when they were younger. It could have been just a one time thing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i agree with Ash9724- hopefully, it was just a one time thing- give him another Chance:)
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• how long have you had each dog? introducing a new dog into a family that already has dog will cause the dog to be protective....just depends on the situation
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i have had the older one for 3 years the younger for a year and a half younger one did not do anything to provoce witch is wierd but true
    this did not start happening tell about three months ago when i started gaining baby fat and it was not to this extream tell a day or two ago.

and the stress pills can be found at walmart and petsmart they are ment for anxity, stress, and also can help with dogs that dont like car ride
    blinkys11

Comment by blinkys11 (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• thats what we are afraid of or after our son witch is due in may he already has goten over protective of my dh if i try and wake him up and punk is there he will start growling aggressively not to the point of hair standing or lip curling but still
    blinkys11

Comment by blinkys11 (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2011