Is it okay to get a perm while pregnant?

i get perms regurally otherwise my hair will start breaking off. i just found out im 6weeks. so is it okay for me to get a perm or should i just find something else to do to my hair thats safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Ask your Doc
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would ask your doc to clarify but usually you can get your hair dyed while pregnant but not until your third trimester I believe.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 11:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• NO! Avoid all unnecessary chemicals when you're pregnant. Especially in the first trimester, but why risk it even in later pregnancy? For a perm?? Do you know how damaged your baby can be, for life, from you exposing yourself to toxins while pregnant?? Honstly it is so NOT worth it!!! No. Absolutely don't do it. Not okay. A child in my son's class at school is severely brain damaged from his mother's carelessness during pregnancy and it breaks my heart every time I see the poor kid: he can barely talk, he's clumsy, and mentally severely retarded. There's nothing genetically wrong with him, but his mother exposed herself and him to chemicals while pregnant.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• wait until after the first trimester at least.
    be warned that due to hormones it may not take.
    as for coloring.. get demi or semi, not permanent color while pregnant because most permanent contains ammonia

i really don't know why you believe your hair will start to break off without a perm, normally its the reverse (too many perms can cause breakage) and as a stylist i would love for you to elaborate fiurther by pming me to my inbox so we can talk of better safer ways to style your hair without chemical usage
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• http://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-get-a-perm-while-im-pregnant_1245944.bc

That link from Baby Center is answered by some OBGYN - it isn't so much that the chemicals aren't safe for you but that your hormones cause your hair to react differently. Might not be a good idea to get one during pregnancy as your hair might not come out the way you hope!

No worries about the chemicals - that is one of those old myths! Chemicals have gotten better over the years.
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No. Every thing that comes in contact with you will effect you unborn baby. Chemical are not good for the baby. But if you don't think I'm right then contact your doc.
    Parka54

Answer by Parka54 at 1:09 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• i wouldn't but thats me... i would ask your doc... i'm sure its fine, but... i still woldn't
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:09 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I agree your hair might react differently, and you might want to avoid breathing in the chemicals. Ask your doc what he/she thinks before making your appointment!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:24 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My doctor told me to wait to do anything to my hair untill after the first trimester... i still wont color it while im pregnant though...cuz i was raised to believe that it was unsafe..and no matter what dr tells me im not gonna do it till after i have the baby..it sux cuz my roots are showing really bad...but i will live till then :)
    KaylynnsMommie2

Answer by KaylynnsMommie2 at 1:40 AM on Mar. 14, 2011