Breastfed baby - pooping..

my son is now two months old and is still strictly breastfed.

he has started to have bowel movements once a night whereas he used to have a bowel movement one after another after another (so it seemed)... Is this normal? i have been looking online and what i get is that this is normal and sometimes breastfed babies only poop once a week..??

the stools are normal. yellow w/ curds.

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 12:45 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Totally normal. Look at the consistency of the stools more than the frequency. Every baby is different, and now he will find his own rhythm. As long as they are yellow mustardy and soft like that, he's fine!! Some babies poop several times a day, some once a week. As long as the consistency is right, and he's not in pain, no worries, mama. :)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• normal my son use to poop once a week. breastmilk is easy to digest their little bodies use up most of it what ever their lil bodies didn't use they poop.
    chunkyhoney78

Answer by chunkyhoney78 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• This can be normal. Remember, his bowel movements depend on what you eat and drink. If you have started eating something new or stopped eating something, it could change his bowel movements. Also, sometimes bowel movements change. I have noticed that my dd, who is 6 months old and strictly breastfed, will have 2 or 3 bowel movements in a row. I think it all depends. But it's fun, isn't it? lol

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:50 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• That can be normal.
    Noni2319

Answer by Noni2319 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Yes. It's very normal, and safe, for EBF babies to have changes in their bowel habits after about 6 weeks of age. Some babies don't have any changes, and others start going days, even weeks in between bowel movements. Everything in that range is normal, as long as when he DOES go, the stool is not dry, hard or pellet like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• my son did the same exact thing I thought he was constipated but the doc advised me it was normal and as a matter of fact his stool went back to normal a week later...you should be careful with what you are eating though because it can cause your baby to become constipated
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It is normal for breastfed babies to go more than a week between bowel movements

Answer by rkoloms at 10:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2011