Do lighting candles of any type have spiritual meaning? I am speaking about scented candles and decorative candles?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 12:45 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you aren't doing it for spiritual reasons I would say no
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 12:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• They can...if you want it too. Otherwise, I'd say no.
    I let candles often in remembrance of others.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• it calms my personal atmosphere, and that in itself can be spiritual, depending on my mood.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No. Candles have been used for spiritual reasons for centuries, BUT, their original use was for light, not religious reasons.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Not necessarily. Sometimes a light is just a light. It's functional. If you feel like it's spiritual to light it, then it can be though. If you're lighting it in remembrance of someone, if you're lighting it for relaxation or meditation, etc. then it would have spiritual meaning to you. If you're not lighting it for a specific reason and don't feel spiritual about it, then no.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Depends on if you assign it any spiritual meaning. For me, well I just light them cause I like things that smell good. Pumpkin, Vanilla and cinnamon apple are my favorite scents for candles
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Only if you want them to.

I light them for both spiritual and non-spiritual(make my house smell pretty) reasons.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Votive (In Latin Votum -means vow) candles are lit as a sign of the prayers that were said there. A lasting impression
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:09 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Catholics light candles in their churches as petitions for help or to remember someone who is gone. So do witches. I think that pagans/wiccans use candles in rituals and for specific purposes. Even if you are lighting candles for the dinner table you are hoping to inspire a serene or romantic mood. In an electrical blackout, we light candles to calm fear. They aren't necessarily for lighting purposes in a world where light comes at the flick of a switch. They tend to have more spiritual purposes nowadays.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No.
    Unless it is explicitly stated in your religious text, or in spiritual context their purpose is light.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011