So I made the appointment for surgery on April 13, How many of you women had this procedure?

I googled about hysterctomy and the procedure but they are not answering my questions.
1-what to expect?
2-Will I have to stay over night in the hospital?
3-How long is the procedure?

This is for both partial and full hysterctomies. thank you

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 12:51 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Health

• I haven't had one, but my mom did, years ago. She was in hospital for weeks, but hers was because an IUD had gone astray and she had all manner of problems, so I daresay a lot depends on why you're having it.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:56 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• YES I HAD ONE A FEW YRS BK I STAYED LIKE OVER NITE I DONT THINK IT TOOK THAT LONG. WASNT LONG TO RECOVER BUT I THINK THE MAIN THING WAS NO HEAVY LIFTING. HOPE THIS HELPS
    rwoman

Answer by rwoman at 1:04 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I think it depends upon how your doctor does the procedure. Some can be some time in the hospital... and some aren't - my aunt had a lasar hysto and she was home the same day.

Best of luck to you, mama :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:09 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Is it something that you have to do or just something that you want to do? My daughter had a full one and she is having health issues now. She had cancer and didn't have a choice.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 4:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Having my hysterectomy was the best thing I've ever done. I was in the hospital for about 2/3
    days, off work for a few weeks, but able to be up and around right away. I had a full on, big
    incision, total hysterectomy and recovery, for me, was easier that a c-section. How I've felt
    since then is incredible. No more "female" problems!
    JeannieBee

Answer by JeannieBee at 9:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• when my mom had it done, she said it was the worst pain she had ever been in... sorry, I'm not trying to scare you, but that is what I know about it
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 12:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• It depends on several factors. What is the reason for having the hysterectomy? I have mine at 32 (yes, 32) because of several uterine fibroids, severe endometriosis, severe bleeding and ovarian thrombosis. What type of hysterectomy are you having? I had a supracervical laprascopic hysterectomy, translation: the entire procedure consisted of small slits being made in my belly button and to the side, and my uterus and fibroids were take out through my belly button. I still have my ovaries, also still have my cervix because of the way the procedure was done. I only had to stay overnight one night in the hospital. The recovery was 1 1/2 weeks. One of my friends had the same procedure had the same procedure and her recovery was the same.
    I hope that you will have a painless surgery and speedy recovery.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• These are questions that your doctor should be answering. He/she knows what is planned and why. The doctor also should know what is usual when they do the procedure.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My mother had one. It was a partial hysterectomy and they pulled her uterus out of her vagina, she stayed one night. I don't know if there was bleeding but, the reason she had the hysterectomy is because of excessive bleeding.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• my mom had a full one! she had cancer! she came home after 3 days and was off work for a month i think! idk it was over the summer of my freshman year so it felt like forever! lol! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2011