Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Court for Child Custody

Once the paperwork is filed by the noncustodial parent to gain custody, how long does it take for the person with the custody to recieve the paper work stating theyre being sent to court? How does the court process go? Is it just the two parents & the judge or can there be other people in there with you? What are the odds that the father will gain custody in California, if the mother is a good mother and proves to be fit enough to raise a child??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • At a custody hearing and child support for my son (who is not my husbands child), I brought my husband..I was so afraid...but it was like a total of like 5 ppl in the courtroom, lol.
    You should be fine...I live in Texas and as long as the child being with you is whats in the best interest of the child, then you have nothing to worry about.
    Also here, when the child is 12, they can choose who they want to live with.

    Answer by babycakes254 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

  • If the mother already has custody and the father would have demonstrate a reason why the court should give him custody. Generally in any court in any state original custody orders aren't changed unless there is an extreeme reason or change of circumstance, ie. the custodial parent is too ill to take care of the child, there is proof the child has been neglected/abused, etc..

    Service of subpeons depend upon how long the court takes to process the paperwork. You can call the family court where the original custody order took place and ask them if anything has been filed in your name or your ex's name.

    The first hearing is usually used to determine if there is even a case at all. If it is determined that there is a case, there would be future hearings to determine the outcome. Courts usually hope the parents will come to an agreement during the process.


    Answer by pugpin at 10:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

  • You sound really scared, you can send me a message if you want support.

    Answer by pugpin at 10:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.