WHAT TO START A GARDEN IN SPRING

I'M A FIRST TIME MOTHER WHO WANT TO START A GARDEN FOR ME AND MY DAUGHTER, SO WE CAN SAVE SOME MONEY, AND EAT HEALTHY. BUT NOT SURE WHAT'S FRUITS AND VEGETABLES SHOULD BE PLANTED IN THE SPRINGTIME.

paradyxe28

Asked by paradyxe28 at 1:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You can start your tomatoes inside then when it is done frosting move them outside!
    tripletmom28

Answer by tripletmom28 at 2:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• If you have room in your yard you might save money but if you have to use pots on a deck or something it may end up to be more expensive to begin with because of the cost of the pots and good soil. But call or visit your local nursery and ask what they suggest. Each area of the country is different for what does well. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:08 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• tomatoes, cucumbers (they are big climbers so give them a trellis), bell peppers, strawberries (those should be plantes now) raspberries....go visit your local nursery...they will give you tons of advice & they usually have allkinds of things to choose from.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:17 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Tomatoes are a good one. You can buy plants at your local nursery, home store or big box store. That would be the best way for a newbie to go with them. You could grow them by seed, but you need a lot of work and luck to get them going. Another good one is cucumbers and squash (like zucchini, it grows prolifically and you will be giving it away if you are not careful - LOL). Go to the library and get a couple of gardening books, they can usually help a lot. You don't have to start big. When my daughter was 3, I bought a mobile home with a HUGE yard in a trailer park. I have a garden about 15 by 15 the first year and she helped with it. By the time we moved out 7 years later, it was about 50 by 50 and I was growing enough that I had to buy a small chest freezer, it would no longer fit in my refrigerator freezer. I also canned a lot as well. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 6:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011