How can i work now?

so as it turns out my son is not autistic like they had originally diagnosed him. But he is delayed and does require early childhood intervention as well as therapy. I started a job hunt but decided to end it pretty quickly as i wanted to focus on my son and seeing what hed need as far as getting him caught up or close to where he should be. so now i have almost everything figured out. he will be attending a preschool two days a wk for two hrs. occ.&speech therapy once a wk and physical therapy once a month. I wanna reopen my job hunt again. but still have time for my kids. The money will help us out and take the "low on cash" stress off of us. One income makes it hard for a family to live on these days. any suggestions?

MommaSammie

Asked by MommaSammie at 1:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• Are you sure he isn't? I'm not saying he is, just making sure that you are satisfied with the diagnosis. I'm currently going through the same thing.

As for the job thing, I guess look for part-time work. Hopefully you can earn the extra money and still have time for your son's needs (and time with your kids in general).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I work as a substitute teacher. I get to make my own schedule that works for my family. You could also look into temp agencies that do day to day hiring.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:16 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• therapists and drs have told me my son is far too social to have autism. most autistic kids have social anxiety, they said there is a disorder he might have similar to autism that hasnt been ruled out yet. but with that disorder kids are very social not shy but have delays. i am just happy to have gotten all the issues for getting him to the correct therapies and getting the intervention started, I wish i could work from home. my husband says he wants to look into anything that says u can work from home as he thinks everything like that is bogus.
    MommaSammie

Comment by MommaSammie (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely?
    You can search for jobs that match you skill set and have a telecommute option.
    If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com ..
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization (along with medical billing), I also do career and job search coaching.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:45 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Have you thought about working from home, where you can have the freedom to take your son to his appointments, school, etc...? I work from home with an awesome team called Internet CEO Moms and I would love to get you more information to see if this would be a right fit for you!

Send me a message and we will go from there! ;o)
    Good Luck in you search!
    ~Alyssa M.
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 7:45 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Look at care.com for jobs that might fit your schedule.   I got my two part time jobs there. Use the pulldown to see all job categories and then search by zipcode. GL!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:05 AM on Mar. 14, 2011