Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

Changing my childs last name

I live in IL and I need to change both of my children's last names and change the father on my son's birth certificate....What are the steps to do this quickly?

Answer Question

Asked by ashnbra1 at 2:32 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Baby Names

Level 4 (34 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • If there is already a father on the birth certificate, you will have to establish paternity for the actual father (through the Courts). If you planned on changing the children's names, you'd need to take that through the Courts, as well. You won't be able to change their names until the father that is on the birth certificates is proven to NOT be the father, and if you change them to your maiden name and paternity is established for the actual father, he can take it to Court to have his last name be their last name, or atleast for a hyphonated versions (i.e. Your name-His name).

    Answer by laird6372 at 3:00 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • My son & daughter have different fathers biologically but her dad put his name on both of their BC so I just need my Son's BC changed for his last name to be his biologically fathers last name n my daughters to be mine. And I want my son's REAL dad on the BC as well.....Just go to the court house..Right?! Lol Thanks!

    Comment by ashnbra1 (original poster) at 3:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Go to the court house. This might require him signing off on it.

    Answer by dubewife at 3:31 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • contact the illinois department of health. i live in MN and that's how i'm changing my son's last name. Try ammendong the child's birth certificate (in the case of changing the father's name on the birth certificate) the courts may ask him to sign a recogniton of parentage. Ammending a birth record is much cheaper than changing it so i'd look into seeing if your children qualify to have their last names ammended or changed. if you have to "change" them it's several hundred dollars.Every time i'd say my ds's father'd last name at doctor's appointment or something it'd make me wanna punch somebody so is definitely is worth it. With "ammending the BC there's many more hoops to jump through, you have to have proof that your child is going by sid last name (my proofs are a school form and a baptism certificate). If they haven't been going by the last name you want them to be, contact your "family unit" courthouse

    Answer by lashes325 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2011


    Answer by lashes325 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Your going to have to get their "father's" permission and a judge will have to sign off on it. Chances are you can't change your daughter's last name to yours just because you want to. The father will have to terminate his parental rights. There is no way to do it quickly, it will cost a lot of money and most likely an attorney.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • ^ not true. if you are the primary care taker and he doesn't have any visitation then you can without his permission. If he is in the picture in that way he may have to sign off on it but he won't have to sign over his rights.

    Answer by lashes325 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • courts or a lawyer

    Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Every state is a little different, so you need to check out the laws in your state. You will probably want a lawyer, just because of the legal work involved. If there is a fathers name on the bc, then most likely his rights need terminated or he has to sign off on it. Sometimes that's pretty hard to do. If you have proof of paternity, it wil make it easier, but still not necessarily easy. How do your kids feel about the name change??? They should be considered too, if they can be. Good luck with this.

    Answer by GiGito1SoFar at 10:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • contact a lawyer and go to the courthouse they can help you

    Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Baby Names
Suggest "A" names for me please!

Next question overall (Pregnancy)