Is it easier for babies to learn to stand steady with shoes or without?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Probably without but my son still does okay with shoes on. Granted, he's still far from standing completely on his own lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Without is the way to go
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• without. They can grip better with their toes and use the sides of their feet to balance. My son is almost 13 months and has never worn shoes. It is cold out now, so he has a pair of muckalucks and slippers that he wears out. If he goes to play out in the snow I will buy him tiny boots of course, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Without starting out, for sure.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Both of my boys learned to stand and walk without shoes. My LO is now 15 mos old and is walking well with our without shoes! My oldest DS' ped recommended no shoes and I just followed that advice with both of them.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Start w/out shoes.
    Jeny_Reynolds

Answer by Jeny_Reynolds at 11:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Without.
    Decades ago, parents were told that kids needed rigid, high top shoes. Doctors now know that that advice is bad. Kids need to be barefoot as much as possible so the bones and muscles in their feet develop properly.
    So what do you do when it's cold? Get soft soled shoes like Robez or PediPeds or use socks with grippy bottom like the ones at Target or at www.trumpette.com.
    And what do you do when you go outside? Either use the soft soled shoes or regular shoes that flex really well (Stride Rite for example).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Kaycee is right on with her advice! My boys doctor gave me the same advice!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 1:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Without... if you feel like your baby needs shoes on (if you're concerned about keeping his/her feet warm or whatever) opt for a pair of leather soft soled shoes. You can get them at Target or Walmart for about 12 bucks. They slip right on and look super comfy and don't interfere with baby learning to stand or walk.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 1:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2008