Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What kinds of work shoes are best for people who's feet tend to swell?

My feet have recently started swelling, I am not pregnant lol..But I do work full time..and I have missed work because of this :s

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

Answers (12)
  • I think it depends on what type of work you do. I prefer the clog type. But that would not be correct on construction or a high end business office.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 7:59 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • I would look into a shoe store that specializes in finding the right shoe. For example here in WNY there is a small chain of stores called "The Good Feet Store" which has shoes for diabetics and for other conditions.

    But also make sure to make an appointment with your doctor to find out why your feet are swelling

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • First I'd find out why my feet swell. For me there have been 2 reasons: years ago I bought some really really cheap cheap fake leather shoes-huge mistake for me because some chemical in them made my feet swell and sweat and hurt. More recently and now much older I have osteopancea(?), where the bones in the bottom of your feet actually break due to a variety of conditions and reason. Check with your doctor.

    Answer by meooma at 10:53 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Why are your feet swelling so much? Are you on your feet all day? If there's not a particular reason you may want to go check it out at the doc. Anyway, I run long distance and it's normal for feet to swell after a 15 or 20 mile run so I buy my running sneakers 1/2 a size bigger (some people buy a whole size bigger) to accommodate the swelling.

    Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • If it is severe enough to cause you to miss work you should probably go to the doctor. They can probably suggest shoes for you better too.

    Answer by momto1girl3boys at 3:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • You probably need to see a foot doctor and they can recommend shoes

    Answer by Nitestalker at 4:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • I don't know, but I would go to a doctor about that.

    Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • I would see the doctor as to why your feet are swelling and you are retaining water first because the shoes would only treat the symptom, not the problem...then go from there.

    Answer by dakotafriend at 3:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • I would check with your podiatrist (foot doctor) about why your feet are swelling and ask which types of shoes (and possibly socks) are best for you.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 2:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

  • I would check with a dr. Are you drinking plenty of water during the work day?

    Answer by KTMOM at 9:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.