Making jewelry question??

I have seen several women on here who love to make handmade jewelry, either as a hobby or a business. For those that do, how did you learn to make it? I have bought a few books. There are no places around here who do classes? I really like it and have made a few pieces, but they weren't all that good. I am a SAHM and can't drive, so if I don't get some type of hobby or something I am going to literally go crazy. Thanks ahead for any info.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I started making bracelets - start off with cheap beads till you get the feel - obviously you have internet so you have the world at your fingertips. Go to youtube and there are hundreds of videos that show you how to bead, you can google it and go to any number of websites that show you what to do.

I buy supplies off the internet, ebay, also at Michaels or JoAnns when they are having a sale. I go through phases so I have multiple crafts I jump between but you'll find it so stress relieving.

Have Fun!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I just started making jewelry. I borrow books from the library to get ideas. I also borrow the magazine "Bead Style". It is great. :) I also ordered a free catalog from Fire Mountain Gems. I got that info from another cafe mom. www.firemountaingems.com Lots of great info at their site too!
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I love making jewelry and learned to make it years ago by buying books, but now I just go online and look for online tutorials. Do a search, you will find a ton including videos on youtube. Have fun!!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I've been making jewelry for about three years now. Give or take. and I started with just wire and beads....it was christmas time and I was making ornaments for family. I also sold them for 5 bucks a piece to friends. They told me I should start making jewelry, so I went to Hobby Lobby and pretty much bought all the tools that I thought I needed....which was tough and I was clueless. But once I figured out what a crimp bead was and how to properly open a jump ring, I was making and selling jewelry in no time. You just have to have an open mind and the confidence to create. It's so much fun and I honestly love it! I'm teaching my little girls everything I know and if you have any more questions, feel free to email me.

scottshoney

Answer by scottshoney at 3:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I started making earrings and bracelets because my birthstone is purple and my boyfriend's is red! They don't make red and purple jewelry! I make earring, necklaces and bracelets for myself, friends, and family. Usinig Fire Mountain Gems is the best place to go for everything you need and want to learn.

Just remember be creative! Practice makes perfect!
    karen020253

Answer by karen020253 at 4:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I bought a crystal bracelet from a craft store counter and the more I looked at it , the more I said to my self that I could make this, so I looked carefully at what was used and just bought the supplies and started making them and I learned how to make just simple earrings for my mother as she does not have pierced ears. I bought mags from the grocery store mag. isle that showed the basic steps of how to start making jewelry. i enjoy making stuff for my mom who lives in Fla. now and is 81.
    mlgrob57

Answer by mlgrob57 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011