Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Is there anything I can do?

It isn't my son that has to cross the road it is several other kids that do and yes I have called the bus garage and spoken with everyone there.

I live somewhat close to the road(about 150 feet) so I hear and see all the traffic that goes by every day. We have alot of children that live across the road from us and beside us also. My concern is how fast the traffic drives(between 60 and 70 MPH(it is supposed to be 55) and people passing out in front of my house(it is a no passing zone). And some of the vehicles don't stop for the school bus even when she has her red flashers on.

There has been several close encounters with the kids coming across the road to get on the bus.  We have reported this and the police come out one time and sit and nothing happens and they have even set up speed traps and such; my question is there anything more I can do about this because it really scares me for my child is one that gets on and off the bus out here.


Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 47 (254,089 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Call Law Enforcement again. They have to respond and explain to them again what the situation is. One time will never do. Also, go to your Board of Supervisors meetings or town council meetings and speak your mind. That's what they're there for. Something CAN be done but you may have to be persistent about it. Persistent like a Pitt Bull. You are talking about child safety here. That should be everyone's concern. Not just yours.

    Answer by sonja911 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • They have those "children at play" signs (we have one in our neighborhood) but I'm not sure what the regulations are for having one or even who you would call. And I'm fairly sure that it wouldn't really deter all that many people. I'm sorry I don't have any help!

    Answer by missanc at 8:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • I have the same problem, and no, there isn't anything else you can do but what you have already. You can put out a sign as suggested above, but that will be ignored too. I even tried a camcorder. Can't get their plate number. It sucks. Unfortunately, something bad will eventually happen.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • you could try calling the local news stations. most of them have a "trouble shooters" or something similar. they could get some publicity into your problem and maybe then the city will take notice.

    Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • You can actually go to your next City council meeting and petition them to lower the speed limit on that road.

    Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • I have a son thank you DSNMomma not a daughter why do people automatically assume that everyone has girls and it isn't my son that crosses the road it is several other children that live across from us that have to cross


    Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Yes tou should do something because no one wants to see a child getting hurt. If the police would not help maybe you should try getting in touch with the city that you live in

    Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

  • Have you tried talking to a supervisor at the bus depot? A lot of times, if you yell loud enough, they will change her drop off to your side of the street so your daughter doesn't have to cross a busy street!

    Good Luck!

    Answer by DSNMomma at 2:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2011